Was it the Right thing to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I looked underwater and the DM and my buddy were about 15 feet below.
Were they hanging out at 15 feet or heading off already? I've done a bunch of dives on boats like these where the plan is usually "hop in the water and we'll all meet at the 15 ft safety stop bar before heading on".

I had no idea on Deco time and just did what the DM did.
This part is a little more concerning. Your NDL/deco time is your responsibility. If you weren't diving a computer, you should have done some table planning ahead of the dive. This should have been covered in your OW course.

Unfortunately, a lot of people don't do this and just follow the DM, which is never a good idea. I got into a debate in a FB group recently where a new person was asking about acquiring a dive computer and one of these resort divers came in and said that she had 100+ dives, never carries a computer, and only blindly follows the DM and that's what the new diver should have done. No no no no no.

They were heading to the bottom. On the way down, we all spotted a nurse shark so a group of about 10 folks turned and headed that way. I decided I would too, having no idea where the DM or my buddy where at that point. After looking at shark, I turned toward the general area of the DM and was motioning for me to follow him. So I did.

Would you consider hiring your own DM to be your buddy if you can't be sure of a competent instabuddy?

This part is a little more concerning. Your NDL/deco time is your responsibility. If you weren't diving a computer, you should have done some table planning ahead of the dive. This should have been covered in your OW course.

There was no planning or briefing of any kind. Just got to the sight, a guy said you may get to see some sharks, the DM I was to follow said, you are with me, and pointed to a girl and said she is your buddy. I started to go through the BWRAF next to her and she lost interest and jumped in. So I followed.

In hindsight I put all my trust in the DM and just figured if I followed or stayed close to him, I would be fine. It was for this day, but there was a the little nagging in my head about maybe being too loose with good practices and thats why my post here.

Thanks for the info.

In hindsight I put all my trust in the DM and just figured if I followed or stayed close to him, I would be fine.
The reality is you generally will be. Until that time when you aren't, or you get separated from the DM, or you have different DMs for multiple dives and the second one stays down too long for your earlier diver, etc.

Moving forward, your best option here is good communication with your buddy before you get in the water. Let them know your experience and your expectations. What she did is fine, if you're both on the same page. Obviously you both weren't. Don't be afraid to speak up.

I'd also consider picking up an inexpensive computer before your next trip so you have something you know how to use and always have with you. Doesn't have to cost you much.

Heading back to the same islands this summer and plan on going with a much smaller dive outfit and being more involved in the planning and profiles. It was fun just following the DM and not worrying about anything else, but probably not a great practice. I don't ever plan to dive anywhere that is less than 100 feet visibility or where the water is colder than 70 degrees but still want to be safe.

I had no idea on Deco time and just did what the DM did.

Interesting. And cringe-worthy. In theory, as long as you stay at the same depth or shallower than the DM, this can work! I wouldn't get in the habit of "winging" your deco status however.

Heading back to the same islands this summer and plan on going with a much smaller dive outfit and being more involved in the planning and profiles. It was fun just following the DM and not worrying about anything else, but probably not a great practice. I don't ever plan to dive anywhere that is less than 100 feet visibility or where the water is colder than 70 degrees but still want to be safe.
Get yourself a computer first and read up on how (and why) to use it.

Out of curiosity, which islands?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom