Scubapro Hydrospro - ‘unconscious’ diver rolling face down on a rescue scenario

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have a few Zeagle BCs and don't seem to have that issue, provided that integrated weights are utilized. I have attempted that "mob informant floater" on a few occasions and typically remain close to vertical with a steel tank (which may be an advantage); but, definitely, not face down at any time . . .

In a rescue course type of training, you get rid of the BC along with any weights or anything that causes drag from the get go on the surface and as soon as you can. Also, you shouldn't leave the "victim" alone or away from you, you should always be in physical contact with them until they are out of the water.

In a rescue course type of training, you get rid of the BC along with any weights or anything that causes drag from the get go on the surface and as soon as you can. Also, you shouldn't leave the "victim" alone or away from you, you should always be in physical contact with them until they are out of the water.

I understand there’s all sorts of wild and crazy stuff thought in different rescue training, but if you remove the BCD what are you holding onto when towing? And if giving rescue breaths, an appropriately inflated BCD is very helpful for keeping the victim’s face out of the water.

To the OP. What cylinder were you using? How empty was it? Could it have been particularly buoyant? Once the lead is dropped a typical person is buoyant with no gas in the BCD. If you were practicing in a pool with a very thin/dense person you might need as much as 4l of gas in a jacket that can take 15 to 20. If it is overinflated then what you describe might be an issue, also if weights are not dumped but are on the victim’s front. If you get it right the rotating of the victim to perform rescue breaths is reasonably easy by lifting the left shoulder with your left hand while extending the neck with your right. It turns into a rhythm. People generally find this hard and embarrassing to practice in a pool, once in open water conditions with waves and salt water it is properly difficult to be effective. Try not to have accidents.

if you remove the BCD what are you holding onto when towing? And if giving rescue breaths, an appropriately inflated BCD is very helpful for keeping the victim’s face out of the water.

With "Do-Si-Do"?

When you give breaths, one hand pinches the nose and the other, the one holding the victim by do-si-do pushes up on the head to make it easier for the rescuer to give the breaths without the rescuer needing to "climb" up to give the breaths. BC is a major drag and causes rescuer exhaustion especially with the tank and other danglies on.

Note: Many are advising not to bother with the breaths and just to get the victim towed out of the water to safety faster.

To bad SP didn’t make big easy to drop weight pouches on the rig...

A recent incident had me a quarter mile from the dive boat in high, choppy waves for about 20 minutes. Even concious and alert it was impossible to keep my face out of the water. Once I was OOA on the main tank and pony, with the snorkle unuasable (semi-dry) it was very hard to time my breaths so I didn't suck in water. If I had been unconcious I would have drowned. I doubt rescuers would have been able to keep me face up as I could hardly manage. I now will wear a horsecollar snorkel vest under my harness/backpack/donut so I can float faceup if I ever need to again.

A recent incident had me a quarter mile from the dive boat in high, choppy waves for about 20 minutes. Even concious and alert it was impossible to keep my face out of the water. Once I was OOA on the main tank and pony, with the snorkle unuasable (semi-dry) it was very hard to time my breaths so I didn't suck in water. If I had been unconcious I would have drowned. I doubt rescuers would have been able to keep me face up as I could hardly manage. I now will wear a horsecollar snorkel vest under my harness/backpack/donut so I can float faceup if I ever need to again.
Did you ditch the lead?

Back
Top Bottom