What was your "Advanced Wreck" like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I ask because it seems that Cave training has evolved in such a way that there is less deviation between agencies and instructors in terms of what needs to be taught. Granted, that the skill level to which students are trained varies but they all know things like how to run a line, lost diver procedures etc.

When it comes to "Advanced Wreck," the course is more influenced by the instructor. Some are teaching strobe dropping and progressive penetration while other frown at such practices. If you have taken an Advanced Wreck course, how was your experience? Do you think a full-cave would have covered everything you did in your Advanced Wreck class or did it still bring something of value?

Strobes and progressive penetration are poor and dangerous substitutes for learning how to properly install a guideline.

IMO a good full cave course covers 90% or so of what one needs to learn in an advanced wreck course. So, yes a good advanced wreck course can bring something of value.

When I have heard them being taught, it was always in addition to running the line. Chatterton believes that unlike cave which has one way in and one way out, wrecks may have multiple ways in and multiple ways out. Running a line is good but commits you to leaving from the same way. When I chatted with him he said that he teaches a lot of techniques in addition to line running and retrieving.

Another exit may be closer, but it comes with greater risk. Can you safely navigate to it? Is it still clear? When was the last time you verified it? Will you get lost trying to find it?

It’s always safer to backtrack along your own line, assuming adequate gas. If diver doesn’t have the gas, well that’s two mistakes now.

I started out wreck diving and progressed to cave. There’s nothing about a wreck a cave diver can’t handle. Not sure the reverse is true, since many wrecks are really just swim-throughs.

Reactions: EFX
By the way, many caves have multiple exits. There’s a name for a cave dive where a diver swims in one way and out the other. It’s called a Traverse. There’s a procedure for how to do it. It’s planned advance and not a choice made mid-dive.

I ask because it seems that Cave training has evolved in such a way that there is less deviation between agencies and instructors in terms of what needs to be taught.
my guess is that cave diving requires standard protocols due to the length or distance of penetration - an average wreck as has been mentioned often has many exits and not more than 100m from wherever you are ( unless your diving an aircraft carrier ) so theres a better chance youll get out.
Also im assuming many of ther popular caves have fixed lines so once again the needs to be a standard protocol - wreck diving is less likely to have lines in place so subsequent divers are relaying their own lines and reversing them taking them out
From my observations theres more hazards in a wreck , cables, panels, doors, rusting metal so a lot of decision making regarding assessing danger is difficult to quantify without experience.
Silt seems far more prevalent on wrecks due the the very nature of the deteriorating material esp when you have no water flow so from that point id guess that wreck divers have more issues with bad vis so line work is just as if not more important

a cave ticket is certainly an advantage fro wreck diving but its not everything - of course theres wrecks suitable for recreational diver and wrecks that are very complex and dangerous

I have been on a wreck with full caves divers who are on the forefront of cave exploration who really struggle with navigating a wreck -on the plus side their trim and buoyancy is exemplary and line work is great

Thanks for posting this. I have just started into the realm of tech diving but Advanced Wreck diving is my end goal. It is interesting to read the opinions on wreck vs cave techniques. It seems to be a consistent theme here and in other threads that both disciplines can learn a lot from completing the training of the other.

When I have heard them being taught, it was always in addition to running the line. Chatterton believes that unlike cave which has one way in and one way out, wrecks may have multiple ways in and multiple ways out. Running a line is good but commits you to leaving from the same way. When I chatted with him he said that he teaches a lot of techniques in addition to line running and retrieving.
Why do you keep citing this one person who we already know doesn't even teach to standards?
Wasn't this already addressed? Do you really want a 1990s era wreck class?

Video from a Training Dive with John Chatterton

Why do you keep citing this one person who we already know doesn't even teach to standards?
Wasn't this already addressed? Do you really want a 1990s era wreck class?

Video from a Training Dive with John Chatterton

How do you know? Did you take a class from him? Oh, yea, I forgot, you watched a video......

1990's era??? LMAO

If all cave divers are this closed minded, there's no reason for me to ever crawl in a hole - there's plenty of open ocean to see...........

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom