Fiona Sharp death in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I doubt 300 ft. She was in front of Buddy Dive. I'm not sure there is 300 ft anywhere nearby, even halfway to Klein Bonaire.
About the only evidence we get in cases like this is the computer download - which would be helpful in many ways even if its rarely definitive.

I doubt 300 ft. She was in front of Buddy Dive. I'm not sure there is 300 ft anywhere nearby, even halfway to Klein Bonaire.
Well, 300 ft is confirmed, by head of tech ops at Buddy Dive. Worse, the dive was on air diluent. Jeez. One word: complacency. There are no other words for this type of pushing one's limits.

But if people could refrain from weighing in until they actually have specific facts instead of just opinions, then at least the families might be able to get the bodies in the ground, and there’d be at least the illusion of respect for the dead. And we could all still learn our important lessons.

I learn a lot from people's opinions in this forum, and we very rarely have all of the facts. If we limited A&I discussion to cases where we have the verified facts, that would eliminate the vast majority of discussions here and that would be a shame, since they save lives.

Also, I'm not sure how A&I implies a lack of respect for the dead.

Worse, the dive was on air diluent.

If that is accurate, wtf was she thinking? Kinda defeats one of the main reasons for diving a RB doesn't it???

Well, 300 ft is confirmed, by head of tech ops at Buddy Dive. Worse, the dive was on air diluent. Jeez. One word: complacency. There are no other words for this type of pushing one's limits.

Wow. You were there, so I trust your knowledge, but that doesn't make sense. I have done the tech dive in front of Buddy Dive - the Hesper, at 150 feet, and it looked like a big plane after the end of the reef dropoff, but I guess there is another dropoff further out.

But air dil? At 300 feet? leaving aside the PPN2 of 8.7, how do you keep the loop breathable or do a dil flush without hypoxic dil at that depth? At 10 ATA, your dil PO2 is 2.1.

I'm only Helitrox, maybe someone with more experience will chime in here. But that just seems off....

There isn’t an inherent conflict between showing some respect for the dead by limiting comment about the cause of death for a respectful length of time, and having a discussion for the benefit of others scuba divers regarding what is safe and what is unsafe. At least in concept, note can be made of a passing, and then people can keep still until someone actually knows something worth saying. Of course, in real life there will always be too many people who just want to hear themselves blather for that to actually work. But if people could refrain from weighing in until they actually have specific facts instead of just opinions, then at least the families might be able to get the bodies in the ground, and there’d be at least the illusion of respect for the dead. And we could all still learn our important lessons.

No disrespect intended.
But if I snuff it on the wall tomorrow I hope that my fellow ScubaBoarders will show enough interest in what finally got me to have a prompt and lively discussion!

Let me add "hubris" as another word.

Thanks @tursiops. I have to think something got garbled upstream from you. Complacency is one thing, but air DIL at 300'? Between the narcosis, DIL PO2 and gas density that's hard to fathom - a triple bust. And only having 2x 40s for bailout? Another bust. Solo?

I only met her in passing and can't claim to know her, but I would be shocked and amazed if she was planning a solo 300' dive with that set up no matter what the Tech Ops guy thought. That's too many busts for me to accept it. Not questioning your reporting or what that guy said, but it just doesn't make any sense.

Thanks @tursiops. I have to think something got garbled upstream from you. Complacency is one thing, but air DIL at 300'? Between the narcosis, DIL PO2 and gas density that's hard to fathom - a triple bust. And only having 2x 40s for bailout? Another bust. Solo?

I only met her in passing and can't claim to know her, but I would be shocked and amazed if she was planning a solo 300' dive with that set up no matter what the Tech Ops guy thought. That's too many busts for me to accept it. Not questioning your reporting or what that guy said, but it just doesn't make any sense.
I agree, it makes no sense. I saw two 40s, nothing more. The tech guy said 300 ft and air. Seems the channel between Buddy Dive and Klein goes to 600 ft. He said she swam straight out; I don't know how he knew that, since she was solo. I assume the 300 came from her handset. If she did get to 300, and back to the reef at 80, she almost made it. I don't know the status of her 40s. I'll report more if I learn more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom