Is have an AI feature on dive watch better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my pre-dive briefing I routinely tell the divers to let me know when they get to half tank (or sometimes even before, usually @ 110 or 120 bar) so I can gauge where we are and make sure they will have enough gas to complete the dive. AI divers are usually on the money an let me know. SPG divers rarely do and I have to ask them, or worse they tell me they only have 50 bar left.

I have definitely been checking my air a lot more often than I used to, even though I can read my spg without unclipping it as it's clipped to my left shoulder, facing me. As I usually take a camera on dives its also so easy to glance at my wrist while holding the camera.

One of the nice things about AI computers is the you can set alarms at certain points (at least you can on the AL i450t), eg I have an alert set for when I reach 100 bar and an alert for 30 bar (in the unlikely event I've completely lost track of my remaining air).
Maybe not essential but very useful, and may possibly help avoid an ooa incident.

The air remaining feature is nice too. It adds a little comfort and could potentially help you stay more relaxed. Again, not essential but nice to have.

Of course, this is a generalisation and there will be exceptions but I trust AI divers more.
I trust divers who know their air supply. Please don't try to solve a skills problem with a solution. AI or not, every diver should know their air supply, no matter what.

As far as I'am concerned, I don't have AI. I could, but I consider it too expensive for the benefits. But that's just my opnion. I do not oppose in any way to AI.

AJ:
Please don't try to solve a skills problem with a solution.
How dare I try to solve a problem with a solution! :D

Seriously, I was not trying to solve any problems just making an observation.

Yes, all divers should be aware of their gas supply throughout a dive, no matter what. But if there's a way to make it easier to know the current state of your gas (that also has a bunch of other benefits) why not use it?

Air Integration is a SYSTEMs based solution. Checking your SPG is a training based solution. A system-based solution is always going to be more reliable than a training-based solution. Simple as that

Air Integration is a SYSTEMs based solution. Checking your SPG is a training based solution. A system-based solution is always going to be more reliable than a training-based solution. Simple as that

I think I see where you are trying to make the analogy but I disagree. You still need to check your air either on the gauge or on the computer.

Your training told you to always be aware of your reamining gas supply. Regardless of how it's being captured. I've always appreciated how the Perdix chose no type of audible alarm to warn you. The symphony of beeping during a dive is not only annoying, but somewhat of a safety hazard.

AI over an SPG is not a revolutionary improvement in dive systems like modern dive computers were over tables. Its merely a nice and convenient way to keep track of your current pressure, GTR, and SAC.

Tell that to the Airline industry or the health care industry then. It’s well proven that when you “fix” a problem with a system-level fix, your compliance and hence, result will be much better

Tell that to the Airline industry or the health care industry then. It’s well proven that when you “fix” a problem with a system-level fix, your compliance and hence, result will be much better

Until the system "fix" begins to create system problems usually due to over reliance in said system, or complacency because it always alerts you, until the time it doesn't and you stopped the checking process because "it always alerts me"

Just sayin'

AJ:
I could, but I consider it too expensive for the benefits. But that's just my opnion. I do not oppose in any way to AI.

I agree.

Bought a used Petrel $380 and an SPG for $50

To get a used AI Perdix with transmitter is $8-900

I could buy a replacement Petrel and SPG for the money I saved.

I always know how much gas I have, and Shearwater cloud calcuates my SAC in psi for every dive when I enter start and finish pressures. Its easy enough from there to calculate RMV so I know my range in different conditions.

The difference in cost is nowhere near worth the benefit for me. If it was maybe $100 different it would be a no brainer to make the switch.
But I can monitor an SPG, or a fuel guage.

AI over an SPG is not a revolutionary improvement in dive systems like modern dive computers were over tables. Its merely a nice and convenient way to keep track of your current pressure, GTR, and SAC.
I wasn't aware you could actually track your GTR and SAC with an SPG. Sure you could spend the whole diving doing calculations but why would you?

I think I see where you are trying to make the analogy but I disagree. You still need to check your air either on the gauge or on the computer.

WAI puts everything you need to know on the same display. I expect you like (yay! car analogy!) to have your tach on the dashboard in front of you and your speedo: under the passenger-side mirror?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom