Rescue or ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A 100 yard tow of someone to get to shore is not a walk in the park all the while trying to give CPR
Just so readers are not misled, you do NOT give CPR in the water. Rescue breathes, maybe, but not chest compressions.

Take it. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Rescue was a very challenging (more mentally than physically, although there are some physical challenges) and rewarding course. I was an ocean lifeguard in my younger years, it was interesting to see the differences between the 2 styles and the changes over the years. I often buddy with my son, and now my newly certified wife (woohoo NEVER thought that would happen) so I felt it even more important to be better able to detect possible issues before they become major problems. It also gave me confidence in my ability to handle a situation calmly if SHTF. I felt this course helped me to be a more observant buddy and diver, and I feel like a better buddy and safer diver because of it. I definitely recommend you take rescue.

Another course that helped improve my diving skills immensely was cavern. Even if you never plan to cave dive this is a great course to take. It forces better boyouncy awareness and control. It introduces task loading and reel running, while making you focus on being situationally aware. Propulsion techniques are improved and possibly expanded (still struggle with the damn back kick) I feel it also forces you to be a better team diver, better attuned to your buddy.

These same skills and adjustments show themselves in a wreck diving class (very similar environments and training) and depending on your typical dives or personal interests may be a better fit. I would like to say that I still stress for you to take rescue course as well.

First, from your description of your experiences and motivation, you sound like a great dive buddy. I've often been paired with buddies who made me wish people with your level of conscientiousness were around.

Second, liability. The rescue diver certification does not put you in the same category of full-time first responders who have a duty to respond. You are protected by Good Samaritan laws, just as you would be if you take CPR/AED training (which you need to do before taking the rescue course), and just as random bystanders are when they try to help as long as they don't do anything really stupid to make a situation worse. Even if this were not the case, it's a question of risk acceptance and management. What's the chance of someone successfully suing you for trying to help versus the chance that by not taking the course you'll not learn something that would help you provide meaningful assistance. I'm more willing to accept the first risk than the second, even though both probabilities are low.

Third, the course is valuable in helping you think and making you a more confident, alert, prepared diver and buddy. It has affected how I approach nearly every dive.

I recommend you take the course and accept the card.

Best wishes,

Just so readers are not misled, you do NOT give CPR in the water. Rescue breathes, maybe, but not chest compressions.

When I went through I had to do that. I will give you that it later was probably determined that the lost time doing inneffective CPR was detrimental when compared to teh delay in getting the victim to the shore in a timely fashion. In other words it was better to get them to shore and then CPR rather than CPR on the way in. I think my instructor told me that the agencies view had changed on that matter to comply with your post. Still there was the gear removal on the way in that was very energy demanding. My rescue was some 15 + years ago. Thing do change over time. My cpr training was 5 heart and one breath , that has changed also. You point is well taken though. Even doing only rescue breaths is demanding physically when it comes to repositioning doing the breaths and returning to towing.

When I went through I had to do that. I will give you that it later was probably determined that the lost time doing inneffective CPR was detrimental when compared to teh delay in getting the victim to the shore in a timely fashion. In other words it was better to get them to shore and then CPR rather than CPR on the way in. I think my instructor told me that the agencies view had changed on that matter to comply with your post. Still there was the gear removal on the way in that was very energy demanding. My rescue was some 15 + years ago. Thing do change over time. My cpr training was 5 heart and one breath , that has changed also. You point is well taken though. Even doing only rescue breaths is demanding physically when it comes to repositioning doing the breaths and returning to towing.
My rescue course was in '06-- No CPR until on land was the story then. But, it's another example of changes to procedures over time. Your course being maybe a few short years before mine is interesting in that you wouldn't think it would be that recent that CPR was advised in water. The CPR procedures themselves seem to change very often. I found from someone on SB that this is a result of 5 year test periods using data from professionals and amateurs giving CPR. Sometimes the changes seem almost insignificant, though I'm certainly the furthest thing from an expert. I try to just keep reviewing the basics the best I can.

How do you do chest compressions in water?

Has anyone here been sued, or known someone who's been sued, as a non-professional but highly certified dive buddy for failure to rescue?

How do you do chest compressions in water?

Has anyone here been sued, or known someone who's been sued, as a non-professional but highly certified dive buddy for failure to rescue?

Gabe Watson was tried and convicted in Australia for the death of his wife. Depending on whose story you believe he was either grossly incompetent, or murdered his wife.

Assuming gross incompetence, that's at least one case of a non-professional having criminal charges brought against them for failure to rescue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom