Licensed Dive Boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What does the bracelet look like?
The last I saw one, it was a paper wrist band with sticky ends you could wear on your arm, BC, or whatever. I don't remember getting one for years, or several trips. I guess the dive Ops I've used were all fully licensed, obey all requirements, and all - but I consider that island business. There is plenty of money to pay for enforcement if they want.

on your arm, how does such a thing survive a wetsuit coming on and off?

It gets a bit wrinkled but they are remarkably tough. I have to cut mine off at the end of each dive day. You are supposed to get a new one for each dive trip.

There is plenty of money to pay for enforcement if they want.

I was under the impression that one needed to file a "freedom of information act" request (Solicitude de Documentos por Ley de Transparencia) to see the CONAP budget and how much they have available to spend on reef park enforcement. Since I have not done that and I guess you have, Don, would you care to share that info with us? Just as an aside, the park covers 47 square miles, or 30,000 acres.

They are the same material of the wristbands Casa Mexicana uses. Close to indestructible. My Casa wristband lasted my entire visit without needing to be replaced.

149B0554-4AE3-484A-A66B-9687CEA20187.jpeg
I get a wristband every day in which I dive in the marine park. I feel guilty every time because I should have gotten my card long ago!
This is what they look like now.
Marg, if you grab the loose end beneath the band and pull, the perforations rip loose pretty easily. But only from that bottom loose end...

Maybe I will go sign up for my card now and stop my part of the trash these near-indestructible bracelets make.

I can honestly say that I have NEVER been given a bracelet by any of the 3 dive Ops I have used over the years in Coz. I have never seen anyone wearing a bracelet either (that I know of). All 3 dive Ops are the "majors" and well known & respected. Is this just a coincidence? What does the bracelet look like?
That just shows how little enforcement there is. Much of the time ths boats I have been on the DM just forgets to pass them out. I would bet if they were checked once in a while they would not forget.

That just shows how little enforcement there is. Much of the time ths boats I have been on the DM just forgets to pass them out. I would bet if they were checked once in a while they would not forget.

@Christi mentioned earlier that there's more to the wrist bands than what we see - some kind of accounting going on behind the scenes - maybe it's not as big of a deal than we think when people aren't given the wrist bands.

I have the park app on my phone and pay yearly so technically I don't think I need a wrist band but don't matter to me - depends on the boat and DM.

@Christi mentioned earlier that there's more to the wrist bands than what we see - some kind of accounting going on behind the scenes - maybe it's not as big of a deal than we think when people aren't given the wrist bands.

I have the park app on my phone and pay yearly so technically I don't think I need a wrist band but don't matter to me - depends on the boat and DM.

Christi mentioned they buy them (to replace what has been used) as needed. I think the dive ops refrain from using them to refrain from buying them. It would appear like it's money in their pockets if they don't use them. I could care less, either way. I just like to point out to dive ops that are critical of others that they might not be completely towing the line.

Back
Top Bottom