Farewell Tour - Diving the southern reefs from the 29th to the 6th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes. It was washed away in one of the hurricanes; I don't remember which one.

Correct, it was washed away by Wilma and it was located on a Cave just exiting devil´s Throat , tube sponge that grew up o a shape of a Crucifix in the middle of a room size cavern in punta sur,

Correct, it was washed away by Wilma and it was located on a Cave just exiting devil´s Throat , tube sponge that grew up o a shape of a Crucifix in the middle of a room size cavern in punta sur,

Hey Memo. I remember well the big room at Punta Sur. Wasn't it called the "Cathedral" the big room? I seem to remember it being called that. I've only been a couple times post Wilma though. I'm sure I could find a picture. it just would take me hours of looking through old pics.

Hey Memo. I remember well the big room at Punta Sur. Wasn't it called the "Cathedral" the big room? I seem to remember it being called that. I've only been a couple times post Wilma though. I'm sure I could find a picture. it just would take me hours of looking through old pics.

I never saw it myself, but I had always heard that it was at the top of the Devil's Throat dive at Punta Sur. The Cathedral is a different dive.

I never saw it myself, but I had always heard that it was at the top of the Devil's Throat dive at Punta Sur. The Cathedral is a different dive.

Can certainly be the same dive!! Both are part of Punta Sur.

Can certainly be the same dive!! Both are part of Punta Sur.

If you say so, I guess; I've never done them on the same tank. The exit points from the Throat and the Cathedral are both very deep; every time I've done either we started up immediately after the exit.

Yes, I know they are both at Punta Sur.

Once did the Devils Ass that’s Devils Throat backwards! Luckily our DM knew exactly where we were but only 3 out of 7 did it.
The boat was drifting fast off the wall and the other 4 called the dive.
That was an interesting experience!

If you say so, I guess; I've never done them on the same tank. The exit points from the Throat and the Cathedral are both very deep; every time I've done either we started up immediately after the exit.

Yes, I know they are both at Punta Sur.

If there’s current or you swim fast you can hit both quick.

If you’re casual a just a drifting slowly, wander thru them a few times, it’s best to bring a deco bottle!!

This is dropping a the pre beginning, the small mound before the formation that the cathedral is at the end of - two laps thru the cathedral, skipped the valley after it but devils throat a whole different way than normal, shallow entrance, no throat, stayed to right and out a medium depth exit, back in some more then off to Columbia deep.....

There is so much more to that formation than just devils throat, that’s like 25% of it.

Attachments

• 79C0558C-24E1-47B6-9AD3-6A92314142EC.png
    79C0558C-24E1-47B6-9AD3-6A92314142EC.png
    106.5 KB · Views: 113

Back
Top Bottom