Best bcd in the market now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I made my own backplate for next to nothing, maybe 10-15 bucks for a stainless rem and some labor.
Maybe $100 for all the harness stuff and cam bands.
The wing was $250 for top of the line VDH.

I also understand cost. I am always broke and have no savings and rent is 2000 per month. im really broke but i do not skimp on scuba. I have a T3 titanum reg, shearwater perdix, pony tank with a second reg... i go full boat for scuba though i have no money to take the girlfriend out to dinner.

i get being broke believe me but id rather be broke than drowned. I had an old and well serviced older reg fail on me on my 100 ft deep AOW dive at 90 foot depth.

after that i paid top for all equipment

I wonder, why T3 titanium reg at all. It really doesn't do anything for 99.99% of the people beside thinking owning Ti is cool. The rest of the are those who has money to spend.

Also point out, carbon fiber backplate is about 8oz lighter than the AL counter part. Again, reason to have one is not practical.

I wonder, why T3 titanium reg at all. It really doesn't do anything for 99.99% of the people beside thinking owning Ti is cool. The rest of the are those who has money to spend.

Also point out, carbon fiber backplate is about 8oz lighter than the AL counter part. Again, reason to have one is not practical.

why would anyone buy the T3 and pay more? same as sports cars, fast motorcycles, whatever your hobby. Weight.

I wanted the lightest best travel setup

also for the extra cost you get once every three year rebuild. Ill keep my reg for 20 years. Doing the maintenance on a reg every year or every two years vs once per 3 yrs with the T3 will save TONS of money and that cost just goes UP every single year....

aaaaaaand whens the last time you saw titanium rust?

The T3 is NO BRAINER better than other non titanium regs.

and CHEAPER in the long run than high end non titanium regs.

yea I could buy a cheap reg and do just fine. and I had one. that had just been serviced. It failed at 100 ft and my dive partner was narced so....yea not doing that again.

plus asthetics etc. it just looks cool.

hyundai vs porsche ....why do people buy expensive nice cars? why buy a teric why buy anything nice.... some people seem to get all pissed off if you spend money scuba diving. it makes no sense at all. scuba is an expensive sport. Thats just a fact. Some people like bragging about how little money they spend. I love diving with those people. and ive been on dive boats where everyone has a perdix and T3 with 6 divers.... I say let everyone dive with what they want.

my reasoning for T3 is all of the above reasons. weight, asthetics, mainenance, durability, cheaper than other high end regs in long run. I know people that have titanium regs for 20 yrs and still use them.

Im no spring chicken I want what I want. Ive done the whole oh ill save money and go with a lesser model thing...not anymore.

people spend ALOT more than i do on their sports....motorcycle trackdays will break most bank accounts. mountainbiking you can spend 15k on a bicycle...... if you want a halfway decent bike its over 5k.

my T3 was under msrp then another 20% off on the twice yearly sale. I paid way under msrp.

why would anyone buy the T3 and pay more? same as sports cars, fast motorcycles, whatever your hobby. Weight.

also for the extra cost you get once every three year rebuild. Ill keep my reg for 20 years. Doing the maintenance on a reg every year or every two years vs once per 3 yrs with the T3 will save TONS of money and that cost just goes UP every single year....

aaaaaaand whens the last time you saw titanium rust?

The T3 is NO BRAINER better than other non titanium regs.

and CHEAPER in the long run than high end non titanium regs.

yea I could buy a cheap reg and do just fine. and I had one. that had just been serviced. It failed at 100 ft and my dive partner was narced so....yea not doing that again.

plus asthetics etc. it just looks cool.

hyundai vs porsche ....why do people buy expensive nice cars? why buy a teric why buy anything nice.... some people seem to get all pissed off if you spend money scuba diving. it makes no sense at all. scuba is an expensive sport. Thats just a fact. Some people like bragging about how little money they spend. I love diving with those people. and ive been on dive boats where everyone has a perdix and T3 with 6 divers.... I say let everyone dive with what they want.

my reasoning for T3 is all of the above reasons. weight, asthetics, mainenance, durability, cheaper than other high end regs in long run. I know people that have titanium regs for 20 yrs and still use them.

Im no spring chicken I want what I want. Ive done the whole oh ill save money and go with a lesser model thing...not anymore.

people spend ALOT more than i do on their sports....motorcycle trackdays will break most bank accounts. mountainbiking you can spend 15k on a bicycle...... if you want a halfway decent bike its over 5k.

my T3 was under msrp then another 20% off on the twice yearly sale. I paid way under msrp.

Beautifully said!!

Some folks brag about how "cheap" and "how little" they spend on diving and attack anyone who goes the other way. It gets disgusting sometimes. I have an ST1, I service it every 5 years and it performs like brand new during these five years. Just like you said, it is actually a much better value than less expensive regulators. Same applies for my T2x. I have friends who are into boating, jet skiing, snow skiing, etc. and they spend 10 times as much as I do on scuba at least for their sport.

As long as the customer knows that, no argument.

One reason push back against the very expensive titanium reg.s comes into play is because they are often perceived as offering no significant functional advantage over non-titanium models in the brand line (I'm thinking of Atomic Aquatics regulators here), which I've seen it asserted have the same breathing performance (I don't know the source for that).

The question becomes, what are you getting for the extra cost? There's a desire to make sure newbies who don't know the details understand and that in some cases the added benefits are minor. Many have limited budgets; they're willing to pay more but need significant functional return on investment.

Let's go with a car metaphor. An urban European accustomed to public transportation who never bothered to learn much about cars moves to the U.S. and needs one. He's middle class, not looking for a status symbol, but he wants to buy once and have a reliable, low-maintenance long-term vehicle. Sounds like a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord kinda guy. But he notices BMW's and Mercedes, Porsches and Corvettes cost more, and worries they must be 'better' and if he settles for a cheaper model, he'll be sorry later.

If you want to drive a Beamer or Porsche, and have the means, enjoy! But please don't let some sucker who needs a Camry buy one!

Richard.

Beautifully said!!

Some folks brag about how "cheap" and "how little" they spend on diving and attack anyone who goes the other way. It gets disgusting sometimes. I have an ST1, I service it every 5 years and it performs like brand new during these five years. Just like you, it is actually a much better value than less expensive regulators. Same applies for my T2x. I have friends who are into boating, jet skiing, snow skiing, etc. and they spend 10 times as much as I do on scuba at least for their sport.
exactly , im relatively poor. and my friends own big homes in CA have all kinds of big ticket stuff. but i buy a T3 at 30 percent off and im some baller guy. lol im poor. i just like top of line equipment that fits my needs. people seem to be haters often. whats wrong with buying the best in scuba even if you are poor?

Please elaborate on what kind/brand/model of cheap reg set it was that failed at 100’ and the nature of the failure. Reg failures at depth are a big deal and not something to be taken lightly. Did you post something in accidents and incidents about it?
The Scubaboard community really likes to know about these things and discuss when they happen.

the atomic bc1 and bc2 are 1400 msrp, the halcyon eclipse is a bargain compared.

if you want bang for your buck, check out dgx, deep 6, and vdh.

Store | Vintage Double Hose

DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package | Dive Gear Express®
I saw the Atomic BC2 at a local shop this past weekend. Crazy expensive, and to my eyes looks like something designed by Gucci. They say that the coated fabric is really tough and durable, but it looks like some kind of cheap pleather handbag wrapped around your body. And the quilting?! The ratcheting cam band is pretty cool though. Not $1400 cool, but still a neat idea.

IS THE 50K CAR AS NICE AS THE 250K CAR? we all know its not.....

Depends on what you value in a car. I've noticed some sports cars sit real low, and I don't like that. When my wife had a beamer we picked up used as a good buy (nowhere near any 250K even had it been new, of course), it was rear wheel drive; couldn't climb our steep drive way entrance when there was a lot of snow and ice, but my cheaper old Chevy Malibu could. The beamer had rear wheel drive, and it's my understanding that was a problem. One of my old teachers used to love a sportscar that he told me had tires like butter - had to be replaces often.

Point is, what an expensive product offers may be more valuable to one person than another, and customers should know what that cost and value mean for them.

did you answer my answers? my T3 is cheaper in long run even if i didnt buy it at discount....

I may have misunderstood, but it seemed you anticipated savings based on a 3-year service interval. You can buy a cheaper reg. in the Atomic Aquatics line and still have a 3-year service interval; my B2 has the 3-year interval, it's midrange, not cheap but was a good deal cheaper than the top tier, and I didn't buy used.

I don't hate nice gear. I want people to understand the value proposition of what they're considering buying. As long as they have a good understanding of what they are (and are not) getting for their money, I have no issue with it whether they buy high-end or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom