Sun protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I live in Sweden, have a rather sensitive skin in regards to sunburn, haven't been much in the sun this summer and I'm going to Greece to do some snorkelling amongst other things.
My gf thinks I should use suncream "like everyone else", me I wonder how much they really protect when snorkeling? There is also sunprotecting clothings, seem like a good idea but why are som few using them on the beaches? And my gf really doesn't like that idea for some reason. What do you use?

google rash guard for snorkeling - some offer UV Protection.

Few are used on beaches because in most parts of the world, there is a large culture of tanning and being tan. It is an excellent option in lieu of sunscreen for your body or you can then just wear it on the areas like your face and neck if exposed. I sometimes wear a Buff around my neck and get away with not putting anything on my neck that way. Most rash guards are at least UPF 30 with many being UPF 50. You can find them at swim stores online; many surf brands have them and some dive companies sell their versions as well. You can even get surf or swim bottoms so you don't have to apply any on your legs, too. They are also great for stingers or sea lice in the water.

Ronny:

We offer this package which includes three items, pants, shirt and hood.

thanks
Dano

https://www.makospearguns.com/Dive-Skin-Rashguard-3-Piece-Package-p/mdsr3p.htm

MDSR3P-2T.jpg

Another +1 for rash guard. If you want to use suncream, get a reef-safe sunscreen.

Over the years, I've found there to be no point to using full sunscreen unless you want to show off something.

A good compromise is to use light sunscreen over your neck for the first 2-3 days of your trip. That will let your body develop a basic tan (=sun protection) that will work for the rest of the time.

On dry land, any t-shirt covers the rest of your body. Arms and legs are generally insensitive, as they get exposure to some UV even at home. At sea, rashguards and especially turtleneck rashguards work better than sunscreen. Plus, you want to wear something when diving anyway, at least on dives 1-99 and 101-5000.

Back
Top Bottom