Help w/ budget XXL suit for nephew.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark IV

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've been largely out of the scene for a decade+, so I'm not really up on who's-who and what's-what these days, concerning both manufacturers and retailers, so I figured I'd ask The Matrix here.
I have a nephew that wants to start diving, and he's been messaging me (hoping I could still certify him and another nephew, but I haven't renewed in years), and I'm trying to help out, point them in some right directions, keep them from getting hosed, etc.
He's a first-year county sheriff's deputy, fairly newly married, and with a kid on the way, so he's a bit budget conscious, and I'm looking to get him into at least his own wetsuit and mask before doing a cert course.
Mask deals are pretty easy to find, but wetsuits aren't as easy.
The kid is kinda short and heavy, at 5-10" and about 230, so I'm thinking an XXL? (if we can find one that isn't made for someone 6-3".)
I'm hoping for some recommendations on sizing, and on some solid but economical brands/models, as well as some good on-line sources.
(maybe a Henderson from Leisure pro, and there are deals to be found on ebay, but that can take a lot of sifting).
You get the idea. Any good info is much appreciated......

Henderson and Bare seem to have the larger sizes. Bare is NOT cheap, though.

Neosport XSpan 5mm in XXL. I'm about his size and that's what I wear and it works fine. It's not going to be like a Scubapro or Mares or Fourthelement but for starting out it will keep him warm and will last him a few years if peroperly taken care of. I bought mine about 4 years ago and I think I paid maybe $130 for IIRC. Neosport is the budget friendly series made by Henderson.

Neosport by Henderson XSPAN Jumpsuit

Thanks Shortbus (funny handle, BTW!) , I knew Henderson had a decent budget line, but couldn't recall the name of it.
A brand new 5mil for $130 is pretty good. (and the $95 shown in that link, is even better, even though it's backordered. This may well be as good as I'm gonna find, I'll pass that along.:thumb: )

You may want to check out the Ocean Quest wetsuits at scuba.com. I've bought some of the OQ items including a 7mm wetsuit. I'm 6' and 245 lbs and the 3XL fits me perfectly. According to their sizing chart, a XXL should fit your nephew.

While I haven't had the wetsuit long enough to verify the longevity of the products it does seem to be very well made. They are priced very inexpensively if price is a major factor.

I normally wear a Henderson Thermaxx 3mm which I really love. I bought the 7mm OQ so I could start diving a little earlier in the year since most of my local diving is in colder quarries that don't start warming up until June.

Scuba.com is having a killer sale, I just bought an Akona 1mm for $50, already had 2 but at that price...

Look at the close out stuff, if you find something that fits it will likely be a bargain.

Thanks Shortbus (funny handle, BTW!) , I knew Henderson had a decent budget line, but couldn't recall the name of it.
A brand new 5mil for $130 is pretty good. (and the $95 shown in that link, is even better, even though it's backordered. This may well be as good as I'm gonna find, I'll pass that along.:thumb: )
Unless Henderson is making XSpan just for Leisurepro, that sub-brand is discontinued for a few years. That was probably an old close-out price at that link, don’t expect them to get more in.

Aqualung balance comfort 5.5mm wetsuit in size xl should fit your nephew at 5ft 10inch height and about 230lbs.

The aqualung sizing guide for this suit is as follows:
XL: 5ft 11inch - 6ft 2inch and 195-220lbs
L: 5ft 10inch- 6ft 1inch and 180-200lbs
XL Short: 5ft 7inch - 5ft 10inch and 190-210lbs

The neoprene of this suit is supple and stretchy and should accommodate 230lbs without problem.

I have size large, am 5'10" and have used my suit when I weighed 220lbs....an XL should fit your nephew well.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom