Air integrated SPG/Computer: left or right side?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We teach dive computers in our entry level courses. The students will get a lecture on dive computers and their use in class and use dive computer in their openwater training part (we do 8 - 10 dives in the Scuba Diver course). Students also receive extensive training on dive table use.
Lol, twice in a row, am I really that bad at expressing myself?
It’s about wrist vs console in OW training, man. As opposed to “using vs not using” computers in training

I wear my main computer on my LEFT arm, it is easier to monitor the computer when going up while holding the BC hose. A quick glance to the left and I can see everything without any issues. I don't see the point of needing to wear it on the right wrist. My back up computer is usually on my right wrist.

When I took Rescue training, I found that when properly bringing a non-responsive diver to the surface, I could not see my left hand while controlling the diver and using my right hand to keep their reg in their mouth. But, I could see my right wrist.

I always wear a computer on my right wrist for that reason - to make sure I can monitor my depth, even if bad things happen and I am surfacing a non-responsive diver.

I wear the computer on my left wrist. I’m right-handed and if I wore it on the right it would get busted. I also hold my primary light in my right hand and it would interfere if the computer was there too.

I’m mostly DIR, but I don’t scooter and don’t liking passing the light cord under the long hose. When you have to temporarily switch hands with the light, the cord ends up wrapped around the long hose.

I started out with the light on the right and switched to left when I took Tech 1 and started diving with DIR divers.

So, I’ve done it both ways and prefer the light on the right and computer left. I have no issue working the wing while monitoring depth.

FWIW, I am NOT a fan of wrist mount computers. I lost my first one many years ago. I was working on a wreck, and when I started my ascent, it was gone. I must have hit it while I was working a crowbar. They’re nice during deco, but otherwise I’m fine with one on a hose tucked close. I also like to be able to analyze my air consumption post dive. I used to keep a spreadsheet.

I wear my main computer on my LEFT arm, it is easier to monitor the computer when going up while holding the BC hose. A quick glance to the left and I can see everything without any issues. I don't see the point of needing to wear it on the right wrist. My back up computer is usually on my right wrist.
That makes sense only if you plan on dumping from the BC inflator hose on ascent. If you're flat in the water, you'll be using the rear dump and won't be able to see your left wrist, thus, computer on the right.

If you're flat in the water, you'll be using the rear dump and won't be able to see your left wrist, thus, computer on the right.

Depends on which side the rear dump valve is located.

Miy BCD has only a lower right dump valve.

Here's a pic of the same one.

s-l640.jpg

That makes sense only if you plan on dumping from the BC inflator hose on ascent. If you're flat in the water, you'll be using the rear dump and won't be able to see your left wrist, thus, computer on the right.

It works for me but it may not work for you or others, do whatever works for you and for your equipment configuration. I don't believe that there is right or wrong here. I wear two wrist computers at least anyways, one on each wrist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom