Looking to Get Kids Certified...Decent Instructor in NE?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob. Sounds like you have a good plan. We purposely went to Grand Cayman for our kids certs and follow ups. It wasn’t so much for the shop as it was for the Instructor. They turned out to be really good divers and one went on to become an Instructor and has worked with handicapped kids etc. Makes you feel proud as a parent! It is well worth the effort to find the right person!! 4 boys too boot :). Good luck!

Rob. Sounds like you have a good plan. We purposely went to Grand Cayman for our kids certs and follow ups. It wasn’t so much for the shop as it was for the Instructor. They turned out to be really good divers and one went on to become an Instructor and has worked with handicapped kids etc. Makes you feel proud as a parent! It is well worth the effort to find the right person!! 4 boys too boot :). Good luck!

Thanks! We just got back from Key Largo and did some snorkeling. I had it in my head that was going to be the deciding factor if they want to get cert or not. I was unsure how they would do, but we went on a more private 6 pack boat (shout out to Quiescence) and they all loved it. Each one could have stayed for hours and we didn't see another boat in site. Had a fantastic time, if I lived in FL I think we would happily have got it done there.

Edit: and congrats on having what sounds like a great family of divers....looking to get there one day...

I am located in SW PA. I have trained a number of kids and am a Girl Scout Program partner so I also have all the clearances necessary to work with kids. I do not teach a quick course. It is a minimum of 6 weeks once a week of around 4 hours split between classroom and pool.
The issue I see is with the younger ones. I would not have anyone else in the pool with the 13 and 10 yr old. With kids, 2 is the maximum I will have in the pool. You or your wife would need to be present of course, but they would be in the pool with me.
The two older ones can actually receive adult certs but they would be in their own sessions.
Also, depending on the level of maturity of the younger ones, there's no guarantee I would even start them. I'd need to interview them first and they would have to meet all the standards (agency and mine) without help from you to be certified. They'd need to set up their own gear, do all the classwork required, and demonstrate the ability to be self-sufficient underwater and be good buddies.
Some 10 yr olds can do this and others simply can't. Those who can't should not be certified.
I've worked with different instructors as I was coming up and all of the ones I respected taught this way. I saw a few kids get through one or two sessions and have enough difficulty that they were told to come back when they were older and their tuition was refunded.
I don't hesitate to do this. This is an extreme activity and the risk of serious injury and death is very real. In any class from a discover to basic open water and on up.
I would never sign up a child for a one or two-weekend cert with 10-12 hour days. That's just asking for frustration, injury, and worse. Even with exposure suits in a heated pool, kids will get cold and they will get tired. When that happens the learning and the fun stops.
They can also only absorb so much in the classroom and then they need a break. The younger they are the less time they can handle and retain the info.
I expect a 10 yr old to be able to answer the same questions as an adult. Also if that means more than 6 weeks that's what it will be. At no extra cost.
I provide training, I don't sell certs. Those need to be earned and in my opinion, it's more important that kids be trained as thoroughly as possible. In the event that something happens to the adult they are diving with.
I train them in the basic OW class to get control of a panicked diver, bring a non-responsive diver up from depth, do a rescue tow while loosening gear for extraction from the water, and support a diver at the surface and help them achieve positive buoyancy.
Again, 10YR OLDS CAN DO THIS IF THEY ARE PROPERLY TRAINED with the necessary amount of time. I've taught several in this manner.

I am located in SW PA. I have trained a number of kids and am a Girl Scout Program partner so I also have all the clearances necessary to work with kids. I do not teach a quick course. It is a minimum of 6 weeks once a week of around 4 hours split between classroom and pool.
The issue I see is with the younger ones. I would not have anyone else in the pool with the 13 and 10 yr old. With kids, 2 is the maximum I will have in the pool. You or your wife would need to be present of course, but they would be in the pool with me.
The two older ones can actually receive adult certs but they would be in their own sessions.
Also, depending on the level of maturity of the younger ones, there's no guarantee I would even start them. I'd need to interview them first and they would have to meet all the standards (agency and mine) without help from you to be certified. They'd need to set up their own gear, do all the classwork required, and demonstrate the ability to be self-sufficient underwater and be good buddies.
Some 10 yr olds can do this and others simply can't. Those who can't should not be certified.
I've worked with different instructors as I was coming up and all of the ones I respected taught this way. I saw a few kids get through one or two sessions and have enough difficulty that they were told to come back when they were older and their tuition was refunded.
I don't hesitate to do this. This is an extreme activity and the risk of serious injury and death is very real. In any class from a discover to basic open water and on up.
I would never sign up a child for a one or two-weekend cert with 10-12 hour days. That's just asking for frustration, injury, and worse. Even with exposure suits in a heated pool, kids will get cold and they will get tired. When that happens the learning and the fun stops.
They can also only absorb so much in the classroom and then they need a break. The younger they are the less time they can handle and retain the info.
I expect a 10 yr old to be able to answer the same questions as an adult. Also if that means more than 6 weeks that's what it will be. At no extra cost.
I provide training, I don't sell certs. Those need to be earned and in my opinion, it's more important that kids be trained as thoroughly as possible. In the event that something happens to the adult they are diving with.
I train them in the basic OW class to get control of a panicked diver, bring a non-responsive diver up from depth, do a rescue tow while loosening gear for extraction from the water, and support a diver at the surface and help them achieve positive buoyancy.
Again, 10YR OLDS CAN DO THIS IF THEY ARE PROPERLY TRAINED with the necessary amount of time. I've taught several in this manner.

It all sounds good Mr. Jim, pm coming.

I'm still a ways off from doing this, thinking as a Christmas gift. Just collecting information now (and yours sounds solid). Thanks.

Any other suggestions? I have pm'ed Mr. Jim, no response yet. Still on the hunt.

We're in the northern VA area and went with semi-private lessons with Kim Walker at Blue Planet Scuba DC for our two 13 year old boys. He's very calm and thorough. I would highly recommend him!

Back
Top Bottom