Why no hands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This guy. Uses hands.

Flapping hands might mean discomfort, with or without buoyancy/trim issues, but it might also mean they don't know they are doing it, are quite comfortable in the water, and just need some good feedback and suggestions. Wasting energy is a good reason to stop; stopping because your buddy thinks you look dorky is not compelling.

Thanks. Just finished with the pool part of OW and I did more waving than a politician in a parade. I respect good reasons to change and am grateful for those who take the time to draw it out. I ignore those who like to ridicule or demean.

This guy. Uses hands.

I love this video! I forgot I had saved it just for this occasion, Jcp2 thought of it 1st, good job!

He touches the bottom too! How clumsy and inexperienced he looks. I wonder how many posters here that advocate fins only could have kept up with ole Clark?

..I wonder how many posters here that advocate fins only could have kept up with ole Clark?

I'd take that challenge, even at 58. Having used force-fins (tans), I would go head to head with my Jets, or my H.Dessault's any day. Hell, I would even used my zoomers that I use for kick sets swimming masters against Force-Fins.

Force-fins, IMHO, are one step above split fins.

@AfterDark using fingers to give positive contact with a solid object is an example of a deliberate action and is OK provided the solid object isn't fragile etc. I.e. don't push off of coral, but using a rock to stabilize yourself is perfectly fine. Using hands to scoop into surge may be better than using fins, but unlikely. In that case it is a deliberate action, albeit an inefficient one, though there may be instance where you an't use your fins due to the size of wherever you are maneuvering.
What we are talking about is the unintentional actions. The Clark video is again using his hands as an addition to propulsion which is useful in combat swimming. He uses them for positioning to, but again you can clearly see that those are all deliberate actions vs. someone who is sculling subconsciously which is painfully obvious when diving with inexperienced divers

Using hands to scoop into surge may be better than using fins, but unlikely. In that case it is a deliberate action, albeit an inefficient one, though there may be instance where you an't use your fins due to the size of wherever you are maneuvering.

The question of efficiency depends on the amount of force and whether the force used will work in time to be usefull. Picture, if you will, a diver in 10 or so foot surge and 5 to ten foot viz, once you see the object there is a limited time to avoid it. Due to the placement of fins on the body it will take a lot more force to direct oneself from an object dead ahead than using ones hands against the water to redirection the body, using the fins to complete the move. Efficiency should also include whether the move can be made in time, not just whether it could be made.

My buddy missed a move and got a bloody nose for the error, don't ask why we were there. Most of the time we dive there conditions are better, or we move to another area.

As before, I do not advocate using the hands to no apparent purpose. As a diver gets experience they should be able to tell what moves are a waste of energy, and discontinue their use.

Bob

I'd take that challenge, even at 58. Having used force-fins (tans), I would go head to head with my Jets, or my H.Dessault's any day. Hell, I would even used my zoomers that I use for kick sets swimming masters against Force-Fins.

Force-fins, IMHO, are one step above split fins.

Well let's even it up then, we ain't talking fins here, but technique hands v no hands. Clark was testing the fins not advocating their use.

So you and Clark have the same gear. GO!

The question of efficiency depends on the amount of force and whether the force used will work in time to be usefull. Picture, if you will, a diver in 10 or so foot surge and 5 to ten foot viz, once you see the object there is a limited time to avoid it. Due to the placement of fins on the body it will take a lot more force to direct oneself from an object dead ahead than using ones hands against the water to redirection the body, using the fins to complete the move. Efficiency should also include whether the move can be made in time, not just whether it could be made.

My buddy missed a move and got a bloody nose for the error, don't ask why we were there. Most of the time we dive there conditions are better, or we move to another area.

As before, I do not advocate using the hands to no apparent purpose. As a diver gets experience they should be able to tell what moves are a waste of energy, and discontinue their use.

Bob

There is also the twist of the body that goes along with the scooping of the water. We're moving weightless in a dense 3d environment after all, making the most of that fact is where it's at.

He touches the bottom too! How clumsy and inexperienced he looks. I wonder how many posters here that advocate fins only could have kept up with ole Clark?
Why, in ocean, would I want to? What's the point??? Go half the speed and see four times as much. That's another thing about flailing: wave at a fish and watch them leave. The slower you go, the less aggressive you appear to underwater fauna. It's a big ocean. No one's going to see it all in one dive, so why rush?

Back
Top Bottom