"giant stride entry" Why can't you jump?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Giant Stride was one of a number of entries developed by the LA Co UIA in 1954

I'm sure that this was a case of recurrent independent invention. The technique was common with combat swimmers using oxygen rebreathers at least since the mid-1930s and is not too different than what heavy gear divers have done since the mid-1800s. Counterintuitive as it may be, jumping off the side in one of these is a lot better than climbing down a ladder.
full
The most important part of the training for this maneuver is to make sure your crotch strap is cinched down and that none of your facial parts will get hooked on the inside of the hat when you hit the water. The suit is inflated before stepping off the side so you don't sink like a stone but that makes it lift off your shoulders on impact.

If you are trying to instantly get as far as you can from the point of entry, here is my SOP for entering when shore diving from lava in Hawaii:

1. Inflate your BCD well.
2. Step on the edge and turn your back to the sea.
3. Bend your knees.
4. Wait for the wave to come. Make sure there's nobody in your way.
5. Holding your mask, as you do in GS, fell back and simultaneously push hard with your legs.

The outgoing wave and your push take you away which is quite handy if there is some surf. This kind of entry also protects your camera from being hit against the water since it's the tank and your back that take the brunt of the contact.
I did not practice this entry from boats but I imagine this could be useful sometimes, especially, since most boats have something you can hold on to. And while you can slip doing a forward jump, you can't slip when pushing away.

When my instructor taught me "giant stride entry", he said that you must not jump when doing that. Why is that?

Because the upward movement from the jump increases your speed when you hit the water and increases the chances of injury or losing a fin, mask, etc. Also, you might slip.

[Mod post slightly cleaned up due only because of removal of another poster's removed comment

Usually people are taught in a pool where there isn't much vertical separation between the pool deck and the water so it's not the same. Most people who complete their OW training in the Minneapolis area never have a chance to make a giant stride entry except from the pool deck, because the open water dives are from shore and there aren't suitable docks, sea walls, etc., to use for practice. Perhaps the OP is from a similar area.

Never turn your back to the sea. If you do you will never know if Mother Nature is going to try to reach out and bitch slap you into oblivion.

Keep your eyes out in the direction you are heading so you can duck, dive, dip, doge that backhand from Mother Nature if and when it comes.

-Z

If you are trying to instantly get as far as you can from the point of entry, here is my SOP for entering when shore diving from lava in Hawaii:

1. Inflate your BCD well.
1b. burp the air out of your drysuit
3. Bend your knees.
4. Wait for the wave to come. Make sure there's nobody in your way.
5. Holding your mask, as you do in GS, fell back and simultaneously push hard with your legs.

The outgoing wave and your push take you away which is quite handy if there is some surf. This kind of entry also protects your camera from being hit against the water since it's the tank and your back that take the brunt of the contact.
I did not practice this entry from boats but I imagine this could be useful sometimes, especially, since most boats have something you can hold on to. And while you can slip doing a forward jump, you can't slip when pushing away.

Added a bit for you (ask me how I know) :cool:

Never turn your back to the sea. If you do you will never know if Mother Nature is going to try to reach out and bitch slap you into oblivion.

Keep your eyes out in the direction you are heading so you can duck, dive, dip, doge that backhand from Mother Nature if and when it comes.

-Z
Maybe this was intended as a joke, but if intended as advice it is incorrect. You do NOT want to watch where you are headed on a giant stride entry! It can easily result a disloged mask or a shattered lens.

i'm surprised no-one mentioned that in a giant stride your feet (hence) fins are apart so when you hit the water the natural thing to do is bring your feet together, thereby propelling you towards the surface, if you jump the tendency is for your feet to be together which would not naturally propel you to the surface. this effect can overcome a diver error of not inflating BCD partially before entering water (unless diver is intentionally doing a direct decent from entry)

Maybe this was intended as a joke, but if intended as advice it is incorrect. You do NOT want to watch where you are headed on a giant stride entry! It can easily result a disloged mask or a shattered lens.

I think Zef was referring to the Standing Back Jump Surf Entry B**** Slap entry (SBJSEBS) not the GS.

Why is that?
I see no reason to hop. :D

This might not be popular, but I barely teach my students the giant stride as I see too many places where it just doesn't work. Many boats in Florida have their diving platform awash, especially in rough seas. Most people will "trip" when they try to lift their fin out of the suds causing them to flop forward and ram their faces into the sea. Instead, I teach a modified backwards roll that I cal the backwards sit. Heels just over the edge of the platform. hold reg/danglies to your body, breathe twice looking at your SPG, look behind one last time to be sure it's clear and sit into an imaginary chair. At some point, gravity will take over and you'll gently fall backwards in to the water. At first it's like an "E-ticket" ride, and you'll have to orient yourself once you're in. The other is the forward kneel. Toes (in fins) over the edge, hold reg/danglies to your body, breathe twice looking at your SPG, look to be sure no one is below you and keeping your back straight: simply kneel into the water, allowing your feet to pivot off the dive platform. Your calves will give you all the clearance you need and should you pitch forward a bit, you'll be so close to the water that you won't build sufficient speed to hurt yourself. I like gentle entrances and these produce fairly small splashes. :D

FWIW, after having my air turned off twice (thrice?) by well meaning DMs, I prefer the back sit method. I keep them in front of me looking in their eyes the whole time and pivot in such a way as to prevent them from toughing my tank valve. Just as they start to reach back for my valve, I take my last peep to be sure I'm clear and I fall away from them. Since I have no air in my BC (or no BC) I simply just keep descending and meet my dive buddies (if any) underwater. They're so busy getting divers up and changed over after the dive that they usually forget to harangue me about not letting them check my valves. :D :D :D

Which is another thing... I encourage my students to enter the water neutral and ready to dive. No need to bob to the surface and give an "OK" signal. Once you hit the water, stay submerged and out of the waves and surge.

i'm surprised no-one mentioned that in a giant stride your feet (hence) fins are apart so when you hit the water the natural thing to do is bring your feet together, thereby propelling you towards the surface, if you jump the tendency is for your feet to be together which would not naturally propel you to the surface. this effect can overcome a diver error of not inflating BCD partially before entering water (unless diver is intentionally doing a direct decent from entry)
I agree, up to a point. I ALWAYS taught like that, keeping feet wide apart, until a couple of years ago when I did a stride from the side of a live aboard with a drop of about 6 feet. The impact catches the training foot/fin and twists your leg up. Easy to do some damage if you don't get both feet under you on the long drops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom