BC Inflator thread size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

_Ralph

Contributor
Reaction score
ummm, why not give DGX a call or shoot them an email?

Or post a picture of what you have with a circle around it or arrow indicating what you are referring to, and give a bit more detail regarding what you mean by "...this project".

The 1/4" NPT refers to the male threads at the base of the inflator QD post. It is not clear what exactly you are measuring.

-Z

BC Inflator thread.jpg

Top and Right are fittings to go from 3/8"F NPT to 1/4"F NPT

BC Inflator is salvaged off a DGX Power Inflator assembly. Clearly not 1/4"

_R

Still not sure what the issue is - okay, one part is not the same as another. Were you assuming that because DGX sells a common replacement part, that it must be the same part used in there own inflator(s)? That would not be a valid assumption.

The "standard" QD nipple is NOT standard on the threaded end. There are multiple variations in use throughout various brands and designs.

Reactions: Zef
Dive Gear Express (DGX) sells the BC QD inflator post for various reasons...one is for folks to construct their own intermediate pressure (IP) gauge.

The fact that they sell this part does not mean that that is the part used in their power inflator module. There is nothing in the listing for their 45-dgree oral power inflator that would indicate the size of the threads for the QD post...and if you watch the video that discusses the overhaul/servicing of the power inflator, it ends with the statement that they do not recommend servicing but instead, replacing the power inflator entirely....and also recommend one keep a complete spare in one's save-a-dive kit.

I get that you are scavenging parts for an as yet specified project, but you should not be too disappointed that the part you scavenged does not work with what you are trying to put together as there is nothing to indicate that is would/should.

Call/email DGX, or use the chat function on their website and ask them about the part you pulled from their branded inflator...perhaps there was a running change to the design.

Sorry what you have is not working for you, and I can understand your frustration. Hopefully DGX will help you get it sorted out or oriented in the right direction.

-Z

Something to help you identify the threads that you have. Thread Type Guide: NPT, BSP, JIS, SAE, Metric – Trimantec

Second point. The one you linked from dgx is 1/4" NPT based on appearance. The reason they sell it is that it is not the same thread as ones that are used in your BC. The one from your BC is smaller thread as you mentioned, it's also not tapered but parralel thread. The one from your BC appears to be the common size for BC's I don't know what thread that is but the link above may help

OP, I just removed the QD nipple from one of my spare DGX inflators; the male threads on it are 3/8, identical to the threads on the regulator end of a BC LPI hose, or a Regulator hose. it does NOT look like the one on the left in your picture.

Piranha Male End Adapters Piranha Dive Shop | shows several QD-male adapters. The one I pulled from my DGX inflator appears to be the MA-03. the one in your picture appears to be the MA-04-1/8. The one you seem to be looking for is the MA-04.

Apparently what you want from your picture is to go from the QD to a 3/8 female? If so, why not just get this? DGX Adapter: 3/8-Inch F = BC Inflator QD Post | Dive Gear Express®

Appreciate all the help folks, problem solved

_R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom