Polish diver dies in world record attempt to 333m

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't see it as being much different than any other extreme sport and theres only been 7-8 deaths since 1994 since Exley (1994)- thats hardly an epidemic of lemming divers, so I think its a stretch to say that glorification of the dive has contributed to more deaths , compare that with other sports eg Everest over 270+ deaths in the same timeline.
Whether its Everest or Andria Doria were all motivated by personal goals and ego - i wouldn't demonise anyone because a person wants to reach their personal goal regardless of whether I agree with it our not. Just because its not my goal doesnt mean its wrong.
I used to be professional mountaineer- Approximately 14 people ive known have died in the mountains including a few on Everest. I stopped climbing because those that i knew that died were highly skilled professionals and i come to the realisation that its was just statistical probability that if you keep pushing the envelope your gong to get caught out one day.

Put aside the deepest dive world record attempt - what about the longest cave penetration or the pushing to discover a new cave system or a wreck that has never been penetrated - its all the same thing really - being the first. One team of divers reaches point X and the next team try to go further

I'm still not understanding why he went for it without his 200m diver. What would make someone doing so much prep go on the one day that 'safety' diver didn't show up? Smh

I'm still not understanding why he went for it without his 200m diver. What would make someone doing so much prep go on the one day that 'safety' diver didn't show up? Smh
we can only speculate but Ive had freinds take enormous risks and pushed on when they should have tuned back after they've spent 60k on an expedition to the Himalaya - they got away with it but theyve no margin for error, its just rolling a dice

Pure speculation on my part but perhaps the safety diver had told him not to do it or some other disagreement. That could explain why Frederic didn't show up and also why he may have gone ahead without him there. Again this is pure speculation on my part. My mind is churning trying to find some reason in all of this.

and as the father of another great Pole, Agnes Milowka commented
when being interrogated after the cave death of his multi talented daughter

"We do not own our children"

Perhaps people could do a course on that!

*ag*

and as the father of another great Pole, Agnes Milowka commented
when being interrogated after the cave death of his multi talented daughter

"We do not own our children"

Perhaps people could do a course on that!

*ag*
It takes a very brave and honest father to come out a statement like this.
RESPECT.

I'm trying to figure out how guideline entanglement would cause problem. Since the guideline is coming from above, he could continue to ascent by adding gas into his drysuit and BCD and drag the guideline & weight that they put at the end of the guideline (assuming the inflated BCD and drysuit would give sufficient lift to overcome the weight of the guideline).

I'm trying to figure out how guideline entanglement would cause problem. Since the guideline is coming from above, he could continue to ascent by adding gas into his drysuit and BCD and drag the guideline & weight that they put at the end of the guideline (assuming the inflated BCD and drysuit would give sufficient lift to overcome the weight of the guideline).

ANY exertion at those depths is a very bad idea. Any excess CO2 production will be very hard to get rid of. Also, there is usually a LOT of weight on the end of that line to avoid angling in current.

Does anybody know off top of their heads, how many and how deep of the dives were done immediately prior to the attempts by Ahmed and Nuno?

One more irrelevant piece of information I have gathered from the FB is that the regs he was using were Poseidons, with specially prepared/sealed seats (not sure what that means in technical terms).

In such deep dives to avoid currents and wind draging the line you use a lot of weight, probably 50+kg just to keep the bouy in position. I don't know what wing he used but I seriously doubt he had that kind of lift capacity.

In such deep dives to avoid currents and wind draging the line you use a lot of weight, probably 50+kg just to keep the bouy in position. I don't know what wing he used but I seriously doubt he had that kind of lift capacity.

His wing can be seen on the pictures in previous posts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom