New to life of scuba after a stroke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ronnie simpson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi I’m a fifty seven year old guy from the uk I started diving while I was working in Saudi Arabia. Less than a year after qualifying I had a major back
Cv operation and due to bad aftercare suffered a stroke 2 weeksafter the op. It has left me with a left arm and hand that I can not move and a weakened left leg . I had to give up the 2 Main things in my life life , motor cycle riding and my job as a aircraft engineering and was ready to give up scuba diving also until I went on holiday with my partner to Hurghada. Where I let a diving center talk me into diving with them. I was not very confident I can tell you . But I had a personal dive master as my guide and the crew gave me all the assistant I needed to kit up and getback out of the water on to the boat. In the end i had 6 fantastic dives, I am returning bain 6days for another 14 dives and my advanced diver certification in Hurghada. After I saw a doctor and got the all clear to carry on diving . It has changed my life . I don’t feel so disabled now I have a bit of normal life back thanks to Chloe’s diving center at the hotel mercure Hurghada I can only recommend them they’re very professional and very helpful nothing is too much for them

Yeah it hit me bloody hard but I’m not one to give up easily I’m a fighter and stubborn as a mule .its a really fantastic feeling under water I have difficulty walking but underwater it feels like flying to me it’s so nice to be able to move around with no real problem, don’t get me wrong, äffet a50 Minute dive my left leg is knackered, and the crew literally have to pull me up on to the boat. But after an hour I’m ready for the next dive if I did that amount of exercise on dry land I would be out for the count for at least a day .

Wow. Thanks for sharing. I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself with a shattered leg and not being able to dive for a bit. This really helped put things in perspective. Good on you and keep diving!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom