Wetsuit hood skirt/bib has too much material!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDubs09

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know whether a typical tailor who is comfortable with blind stitching can remove the extra material? Right now the back of my skirt/bib has way too much material and will never sit flat against my back, resulting in ZERO neck seal. Problematic in Boston when the water is 45-55 right now.

You might be able to do it yourself, cut out a wedge and use wetsuit glue to put the edges together. I took in the back of a too big hoodie this way years ago and it's still going strong. The glue provides a lot of the strength in a glued and stitched seam, and it's not a high stress area. You could also glue a flexible tape of some sort on one or both sides if it seems it would help.

Another option to look at is a hooded vest it gives you some extra neoprene on your chest and don't have the issue around your neck. I personally dive with wetsuits that have the hood attached and zips across the chest less leak points this way and more comfortable in my opinion.

The best choice is simply cut out the extra with a sharp sissors and glue it with neoprene cement. But using neoprene cement is now a lost art. We used to have to use neoprene cement to cement together our wetsuits before they had nylon or other backing, as they tore very easily. A seasoned diver would have repaired tears all over his wetsuit. So we learned how to do it:

1. Apply the neoprene cement to each side of the surfaces to be joined.
2. Let the glue dry completely apart from the other surface. This establishes a surface for the glue to bond to without the holes made by the closed cell neoprene. This takes at least an hour to dry, but some of us waited overnight.
3. Recoat the now dry surface with neoprene cement.
4. Let dry until "tacky," which means it will stick to your skin, but not come off on your finger. This takes about 10 minutes.
5. Join the surfaces together and press tightly. Start where the two surfaces are one, and work down to the open edges. Note that it is possible to stretch the neoprene so that the sides don't line up; prevent this by "tagging" the neoprene at certain areas while working to the edge to ensure that the edges line up.
6. Re-press the neoprene together to ensure that all surfaces are together. You can even roll the neoprene a bit to glue a greater amount into the seam.

Let the glued seam dry and cure overnight (if possible) before using. If it does pull apart, simply re-glue it once the suit is completely dry.

SeaRat

With glue from DRIS because I love DRIS and they have wicked glue

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom