Air in eanx marked tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And my wallet. Me, I'd be voting with my wallet.

Problem is, all the shops down there have that rule. It is the reason I don't usually fill at Captain Hooks, because they also have that rule and they only have air.

So if you're gonna be down there a week that creates a huge problem, because you gotta get VIP again and no one wants to do it right away. It could take a day or 2. So once you fill there, your tanks can only have air.

I wish they had Nitrox at Captain Hooks, because you can get to them from the water. This is nice because you can just grab your fill on the way into the dock. Instead of unloading your tanks and driving them somewhere else.

Sometimes I will just dive air the last few days and have my shop put a new sticker on it when I get back :) Because we boat over there and don't have a car.

Their shop, their rules.

i don't dive in the keys much, but when i do, i bring my own filled tanks....

Problem is, all the shops down there have that rule. It is the reason I don't fill at Captain Hooks, because they also have that rule and they only have air.

So if you're gonna be down there a week that creates a huge problem, because you gotta get VIP again and no one wants to do it right away. It could take a day or 2. So once you fill there, your tanks can only have air.

I wish they had Nitrox at Captain Hooks, because you can get to them from the water. This is nice because you can just grab your fill on the way into the dock. Instead of unloading your tanks and driving them somewhere else.

Sometimes I will just dive air the last few days and have my shop put a new sticker on it when I get back :)
They just bought 36 4500 PSI cylinders to make their nitrox bank. I don't know if that's just going in to Key West or all 3 shops....

They just bought 36 4500 PSI cylinders to make their nitrox bank. I don't know if that's just going in to Key West or all 3 shops....

I hope they have it in Marathon because that would make my life a lot easier.

Sometimes I will just dive air the last few days and have my shop put a new sticker on it when I get back :) Because we boat over there and don't have a car.

As long as it is O2 clean air, I wouldn't care. I know the shops I deal with don't, as I am switching between air and nitrox pretty regularly.

As long as it is O2 clean air, I wouldn't care. I know the shops I deal with don't, as I am switching between air and nitrox pretty regularly.
I don't know anyone that can't pass OCA if they can pass Nitrox or even Grade E.

It really only matters if you are PP blending. If you're filling from banks, you don't need to be O2 clean.

Yes, I know Luxfer requires O2 clean anything above 23%

It really only matters if you are PP blending. If you're filling from banks, you don't need to be O2 clean.

As I've mentioned in the past, I've personally seen people being denied nitrox fills after the shop's bank was too empty to do fills and the tank wasn't O2 clean so they couldn't do a PP fill either.

So for me it is about keep my tanks clean for that rare case, and so far at VIP they've passed without needed any cleaning.

The Captain Hook's dive shop in Big Pine Key, FL will not fill a tank with air if it has a nitrox sticker attached to it. I've never encountered this before. The shop claims it's a DOT regulation. If that's the case, then every other dive shop along the east coast I visit apparently is violating DOT regulations. Is this correct?

Absolutely NOT a DOT reg. If for no other reason than I can’t trust his lies, I would never use that shop again.

Absolutely NOT a DOT reg. If for no other reason than I can’t trust his lies, I would never use that shop again.
Actually, DOT requires not only a contents label but a hazard class label every cylinder filled at a fill station and offered for transportation.

CGA does as well.

Actually, DOT requires not only a contents label but a hazard class label every cylinder filled at a fill station and offered for transportation.

CGA does as well.

and requires a hazmat CDL if you are transporting cylinders for commerce. I.e. an instructor who is teaching can't carry rental cylinders for students. Thankfully no one really knows/understands/cares about that law....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom