Would you be OK with this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Murphy in NC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently went on a fossil dive in Fla.

There were a couple things I didn't care for. The boat had two outboards but one wouldn't go down so we went out with one, Captain gave this long intro about what to do if he died during the trip (bizarre).

Overall I didn't love fossil dives, it's more solitary and the vis is low, so not my thing, I tried it, all good.

What I was scratching my head over was the mate and the captain both dove, leaving the boat completely unattended. Everything I have read has stated that this was a safety issue. When I raised my concern the captain stated that there isn't much current and it has never been an issue. All the diving magazines I have read has stated that when diving the boat should never be unattended.

I was not comfortable with the situation. My question to Scubaboard is; Would you be OK diving from a boat that was left completely unattended?

I am guessing we were about a mile off the beach.
What do you consider that ?

Inshore. I always register a float plan with the CG and my wife. She knows the routine.

I'm not saying I'm invincible. But I do limit my exposure, I always tie a reel to the chain. That is my safety should the anchor not hold. Is it the safest thing, definitely not. But I partake in a lot of activities that present me with a lot more risk.

I am guessing we were about a mile off the beach.
What do you consider that ?
A workout.

Still, and I could be wrong, but I'd bet that violates Coast Guard rules for the captain. Perhaps, @Wookie knows the exact rules.

As far as going a mile out on one engine, would you have gone on the boat if it was setup as a single engine?

If it was a paying gig, definitely against the rules.

Did you look up the name of the captain to see if he had an actual captains license?

Outboards have a manual release to lower them by hand.
We don't dive in current from our boat so we never leave anyone onboard. I've had hundreds of solo dives more than ten miles from the nearest land and wasn't concerned. I check the anchor when I reach the bottom and stay close enough to ascend the chain rather than a free ascent.

I wouldn't feel comfortable without someone on the boat that can run it and use all the equipment. Maybe your close to land and there is no current but I'm not paying for the captain to go diving. I'm paying them for a ride to the site and to be available on the surface should someone need help. Your not going out with friends here your paying to be taken diving.

Back
Top Bottom