Hand Signals for Colors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geogator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been searching the web and can't seem to find anyone who has come up with some hand signals for different colors. Not the SVGA 256 color palette (like wives see), or even the Crayola 16 box of colors mind you. Just a few simple 5 or 6 basic colors. (ie: red, blue, yellow, green, orange & maybe purple.) There's been several occasions where I'll see either an object, fish or creature of a particular color and wanted to convey it to my buddy. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

What i do is make up a specific sign for color with my buddy and than point at a piece of kit with that rough color.

For example what i use to convey color is making a cutting movement next to my ear (Van gogh) and than i just point at either the color on my suit or some piece of kit.

in all my years of diving, I have never felt the need of signing a color... I sign the object or the fish...

An option that you could work out with your buddy is to have a signal that indicates that the next signal will be a color, then use the color electronics color codes in reverse. In electronics if you see a component (resistor, capacitor, etc) with color banding or dots you can tell the value using the following chart:
0 - Black
1 - Brown
2 - Red
3 - Orange
4 - Yellow
5 - Green
6 - Blue
7 - Violet
8 - Gray
9 - White
It works well. Also, I use one hand for all numbers so it's a One-Two action. To remember the numbers I use a phrase such as Batman Berates Robin On Yonder Gotham Bridge - Very Good Work. Actually, I use some other words but have cleaned it up to a G version rather than the PG-13 versions. I don't believe in one person berating another. After a while you will remember the various numbers and colors and it will come naturally. If you want to point out something red, you would give the color signal followed by the number 2. The other option is use a slate and write RED.

Cheers -

my wife always tries to remind me of the signs for colors when we travel and dive together. it def comes in handy when diving shallow where you can actually see colors. haha i never remember the signs from one trip to the next cuz i never use them otherwise. gives us something to do on the plane. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom