Redundant Air Supply

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 40 cf tank is almost 6" longer than the 30 cf. Both are 5.25" diameter. To the uninitiated, that extra 6" makes the 40 look a lot bigger and more unwieldy than a 30. It's nearly the same length as an AL 80 or an HP 100 that you would have on your back. In reality, 40 is no more difficult to clip on or swim with than a 30. The 19 is definitely a more compact tank being shorter and skinnier than even the 30.

Here's a link to the dimensions.

SCUBA | High Pressure Aluminum Gas Cylinders | Composite Cylinders

Awesome! Another NY area local diver... come dive with us, if you are near NYC.

I think that the 40 is such a common standard in our area (where people use them for deco and bailout), that unless you are really planning on flying a lot with your pony, you will find it easier to buy a 40 used (and sell later if necessary). Plus, when you are slinging the bottle, the difference between a 19 and a 40 isn't very noticeable, and I think that the 40 actually hangs better.

Plus - more gas! Always a good thing (see the last 6,000 threads on this topic).

I did just join you guys!! I actually dove Dutch spring with you the other weekend. You where kind enough to help me with my leaking LP hose. Thank you very much for that again.

Glad to help! Thanks for diving with us... looking forward to the season!

Operating a charter out of New York myself, I dont disagree with anything that has been said. HOWEVER my personal belief would be to suggest at minimum a 30. I see a lot of rec divers with jacket bcds sling 30-40cf bottles and not looking too haggard. If you have a real harness rig those options are far from cumbersome and the closest to a solution that it gets. My 2.00 cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom