Spur of the moment trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mostlyirish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for opinions and information regarding a trip the last week of Feb or first week of March for a trip to S.E. FL. My wife is interested in a spot with a nice beach and I am looking to do some diving. I'm not familiar with the southern FL coast. I have been to Key Largo twice and enjoyed the diving, but my wife would like a nice beach to lay out and read. I am looking for anything from West Palm to Jupiter to as far south as Lauderdale but could consider any recommendations. What water temp can I expect so I can determine what thicknes suit to bring. I enjoy most types of diving but don't see myself doing a shark feed type dive. Just not my preference. Any info or suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Beaches are warmer water starting at Palm Beach and going south, where Gulf Stream is closer to shore. Check with lifeguards about conditions or possible rip currents and you'll be fine.

Diving I like is the drift-diving out of West Palm/Riviera beach, but particularly at Jupiter just to the north. It's lemon shark season this time of year, along with sea turtles and decent reefs to drift with, and over.

I haven't dived farther south or north, 'cause I just like this area. There could be plenty to the south and I just don't know, but this area has really good dive infrastructure and operators.

I was there a week ago, water temps about 73 at Jupiter. Wore full suit and a hoodie vest as usual. Beach temp at Palm Beach was 76.

Beaches are warmer water starting at Palm Beach and going south, where Gulf Stream is closer to shore. Check with lifeguards about conditions or possible rip currents and you'll be fine.

Diving I like is the drift-diving out of West Palm/Riviera beach, but particularly at Jupiter just to the north. It's lemon shark season this time of year, along with sea turtles and decent reefs to drift with, and over.

I haven't dived farther south or north, 'cause I just like this area. There could be plenty to the south and I just don't know, but this area has really good dive infrastructure and operators.

I was there a week ago, water temps about 73 at Jupiter. Wore full suit and a hoodie vest as usual. Beach temp at Palm Beach was 76.

Great info. Thanks for the reply.

Shore dive? Lauderdale By The Sea. She shall have a nice beach to relax. Easy, not cheap, to stay by the beach. Plenty of restaurants etc. Within striking distance of Jupiter, Rivera Bch, or just boat dive off of Broward. Typical dive there is wreck and a reef and plenty of charters to choose from. Also, numerous shore dive spots in that area to keep you busy.

If your wife likes a solitary beach, the Juno/Jupiter beaches are great. As you've already read, diving in Jupiter is really nice. I like Jupiter Dive Center

However, if she wants more activity and 'buzz', head to Ft Lauderdale.

I also like the idea of LBTS that Ghetto Diver suggested. If you stay near the pier, there's a bit of activity, restaurants and shops. Not quite as much activity as Fort Lauderdale, but more than Jupiter. You can beach dive or head a few miles up the road to dive in Pompano with operators like Pompano Dive Center, South Florida dive headquarters or Scubatyme. Note that if you choose to beach dive, Gold Coast scuba has a good meetup.com Club. You can also rent in gear from Gold Coast

I would choose Del Ray to stay (hotel or VRBO or Air BNB) for the beaches, great restaurants and downtown walkability and do your diving with any number of great operators out of Boynton Beach.
My personal favorite is South Florida Scuba Diving Charters - Starfish Scuba - 561-212-2954

I'm still using my 5mm wet-suit for temps @ 75 to 76f in lauderdale by the sea..

Blue Heron Bridge is a must-do. Nice beach about 1/2 mile past the bridge. Plenty to do in the area...many five shops in the area. Water temp now is 70+. No thermocline...15-20 ft depth... only need a dive skin or Lavacore/Sharkskin type suit to keep the jellies from stinging. There were a few little guys floating around when I was there last week....great area..
Your wife will be very happy.

I was diving in December in Ft Lauderdale. 3ml suit was fine for me, more than comfortable, but that is me.

If you are looking at Ft Lauderdale, you can check out Sea Experience for your boat dives and they work with a hotel there that have great rates if you dive with SE. The hotel is The Bahia Mar. This could be beneficial as it is about 20 feet from the hotel so you don't have to travel to go diving. The beach in that area of Ft Lauderdale is good(you do have to cross the street to get to the beach though from the hotel. Also close to Las Olas Blvd too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom