Heading to Cayman Island first time as a diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOW!!! Thanks for all the great advice! My Cousin owns a timeshare on 7 mile Beach and goes every year. So he will hook me up with the boat dives but this really gives me a lot of great advice for the snorkeling and the shore dives. Also the eating places. I have a full kitchen in both air B&B's so thanks on the info for the grocery stores. I fly in on Sunday afternoon so I will just plan on hitting the grocery on Monday. I am really looking forward to some great diving there. I will turn 55 in March so my goal is to dive 5 Islands this winter. Over Thanksgiving we went to the Maldives for 2 weeks. Now I am headed to Grand Cayman for 12 days. Then in Feb I will go to Bonaire for the 8th time for a week and then March I will go to Curacao for 12 days and that will be the 12th time. Thanks again for the great advice. Aruba Bob arubabobsnorkeling.com

Just an FYI, you will need a buddy to shore dive in the Caymans; is your Cousin also a diver? And you will need to rent a car when you stay in Bodden Town.

Also, take a look at @Testudo's Snorkeling guide for great info on snorkeling sites:
TESTUDO'S SNORKEL GUIDE Cayman Off the Beaten Path

When are you coming? Timing is important. Most of the boats are back South again today and many shore diving locations have been shut a little more than usual this year. Going North and even East is trickier during the winter months. Just call the op the night before to get a feel for conditions. Super easy for you coming from Bodden Town if the boats are leaving from Red Bay and if that is the case no point in traveling to West Bay in the hopes of getting in a north wall. We have had a funky fall and winter but one never knows what mood Mother Nature will be in from really anything more than 48 hours out anyway. Sunset House would be a great option from where you are located.

Here' my Devils Grotto dive. It was my favorite. We stayed @ sunset house and dove with Sunset Divers the entire stay. Weather was pretty nasty on the west side so we dove the North wall most of the trip. Had an awesome time!

Attachments

• sunset house.jpg
    sunset house.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Flounder.JPG
    Flounder.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 48
  • juJu.JPG
    juJu.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 44
If you do want to pick up a few food type things Sunday the best bet might be the convenience stores that are associated with gas stations. Look for "On the Run". Mostly lots of soda & junk food but I'm pretty sure we've picked up eggs/milk/bread kind of stuff in the past.

I will have a car the whole time and I have 8 cousins that will be there also and they have 6 divers so having a buddy will not be a problem. I will arrive this Sunday, Jan 27th and will be there for 10 days total. Thanks for all the info. Aruba Bob

With 7 potential divers, you should book your boat diving now so as not to be disappointed.
For sure, when you are staying in Boddentown, you should dive East End with Ocean Frontiers.

While on 7MB, there are many very good operators to look after your group. All will pick up and drop off so as to leave your own vehicle for the non divers. Most will depart from West Bay Dock, Yacht Club or occasionally Red Bay depending on conditions.

The shore dive sites South of town tend to be more sheltered than those at NW Point but the shore diving is arguably better near NW Point ( Turtle Reef and Lighthouse ) than at Sunset and Eden Rock. Phone first to find out if they are open. Both Lighthouse and Turtle Reef will pull their ladders if not safe to dive.

Thanks for that advice. One of my cousins own a timeshare on 7 mile beach so he is taking care of the boat dives. He has been there for 3 weeks for the last 10 years. So I am sure he knows what he is doing on that end. But I will be doing other things with another buddy because the 4 guys are bring their wives so they may just do a few dives per day. But on the other hand, my wife does not dive so I am bringing another friend and all we want to do is dive and snorkel so I really appreciate the info. I may do at least 3 dives a day and some days when I do a early morning and a night dive, then it could be 5 dives per day. Thanks again. Aruba Bob

My usual regimen on GC is 2 tank AM boat dive, afternoon shore dive at Turtle Reef +/- night dive at Turtle Reef.

If you are planning 5 dives per day, and a non diving wife, you may not still have a wife by the end of the trip. Best of luck.

My wife is not coming this trip. I have over 1,000 dives and I know when I go on a dive trip, I leave her behind because you are right. 5 dives a day, there is NO TIME for Her!!!! Ha! Ha! She spends 3 weeks of each month in Aruba with me and then she flies back to Indiana for the last 10 days of the month with a few of them going into the next month. She does all her books and then flies back to Aruba for 3 weeks. So I pick the time she flies back and then I go and dive some Island. Then when she flies back, I fly back to Aruba. I have been doing this a long time so it works out well. My 26 year old Daughter usually comes on every dive trip with me. We just did the Maldives Thanksgiving. But she is starting classes for Nursing so she won't be able to come on as any dive trips with me. So having some cousin divers on GC will be good and I will dive and snorkel as much as I can for the 10 days. I wish I had gills on me!!! You can check out my website. I have a snorkel business on Aruba. arubabobsnorkeling.com

My wife is not coming this trip. I have over 1,000 dives and I know when I go on a dive trip, I leave her behind because you are right. 5 dives a day, there is NO TIME for Her!!!! Ha! Ha! She spends 3 weeks of each month in Aruba with me and then she flies back to Indiana for the last 10 days of the month with a few of them going into the next month. She does all her books and then flies back to Aruba for 3 weeks. So I pick the time she flies back and then I go and dive some Island. Then when she flies back, I fly back to Aruba. I have been doing this a long time so it works out well. My 26 year old Daughter usually comes on every dive trip with me. We just did the Maldives Thanksgiving. But she is starting classes for Nursing so she won't be able to come on as any dive trips with me. So having some cousin divers on GC will be good and I will dive and snorkel as much as I can for the 10 days. I wish I had gills on me!!! You can check out my website. I have a snorkel business on Aruba. arubabobsnorkeling.com

Sounds like a plan, next time you come to Cayman you might want to also plan for some time to stay/dive the Sister Islands of Little Cayman and Cayman Brac.

Back
Top Bottom