Marsa alam - dugongs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,
I am planning a trip to Egypt in Marsa Alam area
1) Is it really possible to see the dugongs? I have been told that the best area is abu Dabad
2) My wife doesn't dive. Which is the best place to do both snorkeling and diving in Marsa Alam?
3) I would like to do some freediving, but I don't like solo diving. Do you have any specific recommendations on local guides and places where to do freediving in safety with reliable freediving buddies?
Thanks

1. Yes, but certainly no guarantee and you need some luck. We dived Abu Dabbab house reef everyday for 5 days with no luck. But, other guess (group of new divers) saw a dugong and spent more than 10 minutes.
Turtles is very easy to sight in Abu dabbab, practically on every dive at Sea grass area. We are also approached by a fat dolphin on the right reef, too bad my camera set up was 60mm macro.

2. We stayed at Malikia resort. Lot of activities for non divers including. Snorkeling, yoga class, massage, water park etc, can be very crowded on weekends end.

3. Sorry can't help for free diving but please check with the dive center.

Thank you so much I appreciate

Hi,

seen the Dugong at Sheikh Malegg, small sheltered bay 10 km north of Marsa Alam airport,

then on 2 occasions at Marsa Egla vast bay perfect for non divers ( Bedouin families come here with their children who sell homemade bracelets please bring extra money and make their day )

turtles are practically everywhere, this one here at Serib Kebir 10 south of Quseir

Attachments

• Tortue-Egypte-corrigee0.jpg
    Tortue-Egypte-corrigee0.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 163
Thank you very much
I have heard that some of these places, for example Abu Dabbab, are already good for snorkeling and perhaps it's better to dive in other places, starting from Elphinstone. Would you agree with that? How deep is the water in Abu Dabbab on average?

I got an interesting feedback on this topic from a person who worked in Marsa Alam for some time

Dugongs live in an environment that in arabic is called "Marsa", that's also what the name "Marsa Alam" comes from. A "marsa" is a sort of bay where there are two walls on both sides and sand in the middle of the two walls. Plants like the Cymodocea and other types of seagrass grow in this environment and this is the food dugongs and turles like to eat.
Among the "marsa" bays close to Marsa Alam where dugongs could be found there are:

Marsa Bareika
Marsa Mubarak
Marsa Eagla
Marsa Assalaia
Marsa Abu Dabbab

Occasionally dugongs could be found also in:

Marsa Samadai
Marsa Tunduba
Marsa Ghadir (which perhaps is now a military zone and no more accessible to visitors)

I am reporting second hand information and I don't know myself these places, but in my opinion the source is reliable being a person who lived on site for some years

I can confirm that Sheikh Male(gg|k) is a common place to see Dugong.
But a little bit of luck is necessary. :)
The picture was taken last year september at Sheikh Malek.

Attachments

• dugong.png
    dugong.png
    356.1 KB · Views: 164
Marsa Abu Dabab also. Very beautyful bay with lots of corals. Dugongs visit the bay, but no guaranties.

A little bit more information about Abu Dabbab, because i was also there and it was mentioned multiple times:
House sand beach with house reef, small entry fee for guests arriving from other hotels.
The dive itself begins very shallow, with many turtles to see, each accompanied by a flock of snorklers. ;D
On the deeper end you are a little bit more alone, great reef on the left hand side (watching from beach to sea) of the bay.

I think it's a little bit less likely to see a Dugongs there but possible.
Nevertheless its a great chill dive and especially a great location if you are traveling with people that just want to snorkel. :)

I went to Marsa Alam for my first time in September/October 2018. I told myself going that if I saw a dugong I would be lucky, but it was not the goal of my trip. I happened to be so lucky to see Dyson, the local dugong in Marsa Mubarek. First dive we spent the whole dive in a grassy bottom looking for him... no luck, long faces when we got back. Second dive they gave us a choice, 1 group would go looking for him again, the other would go dive along the reef. Given the massive activity of snorklers on one specific spot, and the zodiacs coming back saying he`s there!!! I joined the dyson group and saw my very first dugong.
Back on the boat, the repeat marsa alam divers were evenly split between "i've been here many times, this is my first time seeing him" and "i've seen him every time i've come"
It's luck, just don't make it the only goal of your trip.I also saw my very first seahorse there in Abu Dabab. I would have enjoyed the trip even without Dyson, he was a bonus!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom