Little Cayman guidance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is the easiest dive trip you'll ever do. I can't wait to go back!

Concierge diving is pretty awesome.

You don’t schlep your sh$t. They take your gear on day one, and set it up for the rest of the dives/week. Some divers don’t like it — we do.

Oh, that's pretty cool. The fiance will DEF. LOVE THAT. She hates setting up her stuff. lol

But if you love her, you’ll double check it!

Going to little Cayman at the end of December for my honeymoon. Does anyone have guidance on how we can make the most of our time there? Top sites, etc?

Congratulations! We love Little Cayman and the LCBR but, as others have said, there's not much to do besides enjoy nature and eat, sleep, and dive on Little Cayman - and that's okay with me - but it is a great trip and the Bloody Bay Wall and Jackson's Bight reefs offer some of the best diving in the Caribbean IMO. If the weather is good the dive shop will probably offer a short boat trip over to nearby Cayman Brac to dive the Tibbetts (the Russian Frigate) wreck and that can be fun.

Below are some links with information and images of LC for your interest. We usually rent a car for one day (the hotel will make the arrangements). There is a small museum on the island and a marine science research center and it is also possible to snorkel or kayak over to Owen Island, a small deserted island, but we have never done that. There are bicycles for guest use at the resort also.

If you decide to rent a car for a day, find out how much insurance is included with your credit card, so you don't have to buy unnecessary insurance. They do charge a fee ($20?) for a temporary Cayman Drivers License. You have to drive on the left in Cayman but there isn't any traffic on LC and it would be hard to get lost on that tiny island.

There are restaurants and bars at the island's 3 resorts (LCBR, Southern Cross, and Pirates Point) and there is one free-standing restaurant and bar called The Hungry Iguana, but the food and ambience at the LCBR are great and all-inclusive, so you don't need to go off-campus unless you'd like to look around. It's a very safe and friendly place.

There is a nice little spa on the LCBR property and I always get a massage, but don't wait too long to make an appointment because they start to book up toward the end of the week.

They offer some entertainments in the evening at the LCBR Beach-Nuts Bar, like Trivia Night. There is a pool and a hot tub and a small gym as well as lounge chairs and hammocks - so lots of relaxation opportunities.

The TV reception in the rooms is poor with only a few channels, but you won't be going there to watch TV anyway, and they do get good reception in the bar if there is something special that you want to see. There is Wi-Fi available throughout the resort but it can be spotty, but there is a computer and printer available for guest use.

The food is plentiful and very good and the resort and dive staff are terrific. I understand that they have been expanding and remodeling the dining room so I don't know what it will be like when you are there - but they will take good care of you.

The airport is really small and there are no lights so the planes can only fly during daylight. Cayman Air only flies small twin otter planes to LC and you are only allowed a total of 55 lbs. per person - and they may charge a fee per pound for over weight.

Sometimes a few of the arriving guests don't receive all of their bags upon arrival because baggage space is limited but the dive shop will loan you gear if needed. There's no room for carry-on bags on the planes so you have to check backpacks and other typical carry on items. I usually bring a large purse as a carry-on and load it with essentials like eyeglasses, contact lenses, medications, C-cards, swimsuits, and a change of underwear for both of us, so that we can get by for a day if one of our bags is delayed. I don't mean to scare you about the luggage, but delays do happen occasionally.

I don't know if you enjoy alcoholic beverages on vacation? Your LCBR package may include the optional beverage package that provides 3 drinks per day per person or you can buy drinks from the bar, but they can be pricey. You can also buy a bottle or two of liquor at the duty-free shop in the airport before you leave the US and bring it with you - each adult is allowed to bring in a one-liter bottle of liquor duty-free.

The Grand Cayman airport is currently under construction - but it is supposed to be finished soon. I don't know what it will be like when you travel to/from LC but when we were there last month, the process for interisland travel was a bit convoluted. You go through immigration and customs upon arrival on GC, take your bags outside and wheel them over to the ticketing hall to check in for your flight to the sister islands and recheck your bags (they provide free luggage carts for the use of visitors.) If you are carrying a bottle of duty free liquor with you, remember to carefully pack it inside your checked bags before rechecking - because you will have to go through Security to access the departure lounge and you cannot take a large volume of liquid through security. There is an ice machine near the bar at LCBR for guest use, and there are usually mini-refrigerators in the rooms. If you don't get one in your room you can ask for one.

Check your credit cards and make sure that you use a card that doesn't add on any foreign transaction fees. Be aware that anytime you buy something at the resort that isn't part of your package, they will probably add on a 15% service charge. US money is widely accepted in Cayman but the change will be in Cayman currency.

Have a great trip, I love Little Cayman!

Little Cayman Information:

https://www.caymancompass.com/2015/07/24/From-Grand-to-Little--a-relaxing-island-hop/

https://www.caribjournal.com/2017/06/22/why-you-need-to-visit-little-cayman/#

http://www.qsl.net/zf2nt/index.htm

Little Cayman promotional videos:

https://youtu.be/Q6pJ7-Acks0

https://youtu.be/QDb1nkROOcE

LCBR video:

https://www.facebook.com/littlecaymanbeachresort/videos/10158715980845230/

This was incredibly helpful. Thank you

Congratulations! We love Little Cayman and the LCBR but, as others have said, there's not much to do besides enjoy nature and eat, sleep, and dive on Little Cayman - and that's okay with me - but it is a great trip and the Bloody Bay Wall and Jackson's Bight reefs offer some of the best diving in the Caribbean IMO. If the weather is good the dive shop will probably offer a short boat trip over to nearby Cayman Brac to dive the Tibbetts (the Russian Frigate) wreck and that can be fun.

Below are some links with information and images of LC for your interest. We usually rent a car for one day (the hotel will make the arrangements). There is a small museum on the island and a marine science research center and it is also possible to snorkel or kayak over to Owen Island, a small deserted island, but we have never done that. There are bicycles for guest use at the resort also.

If you decide to rent a car for a day, find out how much insurance is included with your credit card, so you don't have to buy unnecessary insurance. They do charge a fee ($20?) for a temporary Cayman Drivers License. You have to drive on the left in Cayman but there isn't any traffic on LC and it would be hard to get lost on that tiny island.

There are restaurants and bars at the island's 3 resorts (LCBR, Southern Cross, and Pirates Point) and there is one free-standing restaurant and bar called The Hungry Iguana, but the food and ambience at the LCBR are great and all-inclusive, so you don't need to go off-campus unless you'd like to look around. It's a very safe and friendly place.

There is a nice little spa on the LCBR property and I always get a massage, but don't wait too long to make an appointment because they start to book up toward the end of the week.

They offer some entertainments in the evening at the LCBR Beach-Nuts Bar, like Trivia Night. There is a pool and a hot tub and a small gym as well as lounge chairs and hammocks - so lots of relaxation opportunities.

The TV reception in the rooms is poor with only a few channels, but you won't be going there to watch TV anyway, and they do get good reception in the bar if there is something special that you want to see. There is Wi-Fi available throughout the resort but it can be spotty, but there is a computer and printer available for guest use.

The food is plentiful and very good and the resort and dive staff are terrific. I understand that they have been expanding and remodeling the dining room so I don't know what it will be like when you are there - but they will take good care of you.

The airport is really small and there are no lights so the planes can only fly during daylight. Cayman Air only flies small twin otter planes to LC and you are only allowed a total of 55 lbs. per person - and they may charge a fee per pound for over weight.

Sometimes a few of the arriving guests don't receive all of their bags upon arrival because baggage space is limited but the dive shop will loan you gear if needed. There's no room for carry-on bags on the planes so you have to check backpacks and other typical carry on items. I usually bring a large purse as a carry-on and load it with essentials like eyeglasses, contact lenses, medications, C-cards, swimsuits, and a change of underwear for both of us, so that we can get by for a day if one of our bags is delayed. I don't mean to scare you about the luggage, but delays do happen occasionally.

I don't know if you enjoy alcoholic beverages on vacation? Your LCBR package may include the optional beverage package that provides 3 drinks per day per person or you can buy drinks from the bar, but they can be pricey. You can also buy a bottle or two of liquor at the duty-free shop in the airport before you leave the US and bring it with you - each adult is allowed to bring in a one-liter bottle of liquor duty-free.

The Grand Cayman airport is currently under construction - but it is supposed to be finished soon. I don't know what it will be like when you travel to/from LC but when we were there last month, the process for interisland travel was a bit convoluted. You go through immigration and customs upon arrival on GC, take your bags outside and wheel them over to the ticketing hall to check in for your flight to the sister islands and recheck your bags (they provide free luggage carts for the use of visitors.) If you are carrying a bottle of duty free liquor with you, remember to carefully pack it inside your checked bags before rechecking - because you will have to go through Security to access the departure lounge and you cannot take a large volume of liquid through security.

Check your credit cards and make sure that you use a card that doesn't add on any foreign transaction fees. Be aware that anytime you buy something at the resort that isn't part of your package, they will probably add on a 15% service charge. US money is widely accepted in Cayman but the change will be in Cayman currency.

Have a great trip, I love Little Cayman!

Little Cayman Information:

https://www.caymancompass.com/2015/07/24/From-Grand-to-Little--a-relaxing-island-hop/

https://www.caribjournal.com/2017/06/22/why-you-need-to-visit-little-cayman/#

http://www.qsl.net/zf2nt/index.htm

Little Cayman promotional videos:

https://youtu.be/Q6pJ7-Acks0

https://youtu.be/QDb1nkROOcE

LCBR video:

https://www.facebook.com/littlecaymanbeachresort/videos/10158715980845230/

In addition to wake up, eat, dive, sleep - repeat - make sure you find time for the hammocks! Great location for afternoon nap, sunrise, sunset, etc.
m_IMG_3341.JPG

Back
Top Bottom