Reviving an old drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Today I acquired an old DUI CF200. And I mean old - it was made in 1999. The suit looks a bit dirty and uncared for, and there is no history of when it was used last time or how often it was used before that. However, there are no rips or tears on the suit itself or any of the seals, no signs of mold, and the zippers work, although I do need to apply significant force to open or close the inner zipper. Aside from the overall dirty looks, the suit looks solid, and given the nominal price I paid for it, I'm in no position to complain.

I tried it on (which I'm not sure was the wisest thing to do), and managed to get in and out without making any damage to the the suit. I do have a couple of questions however:

I'm thinking about soaking and washing the suit (with wetsuit shampoo, or whatever that thing is called), drying it, and applying talc to the seals and lube to the zippers. In other words - treating it as if it didn't just come from the years of storage. Is there a reason why I shouldn't do that, or are there any additional steps I should perform?

Is it a good idea to connect air supply to the valve to see if it works, or is it safer to get it checked by the LDS? But then again, how else would they check if it works?

Finally, the hand-filled size tag inside the suit indicates that it's a size Large, which, according to the DUI size chart, is for 72" height. I'm 72", and this suit is WAY taller than me. Five inches taller easily. I understand it has telescopic feature, and the crotch strap, but do they always come way longer that the spec size? I figure if it was Large-Tall or something, the tag would have indicated as much...

Congratulations on the find! I don't know anything about DUI specifically but I would expect that the shop would service the valves. I wouldn't recommend diving it without that.

the valves can be taken apart and serviced. do you have the old tall style sitechs?

the valves can be taken apart and serviced. do you have the old tall style sitechs?

I'm attaching the picture.

Attachments

• 00202_2fZ2IC6zPrB_1200x900.jpg
    00202_2fZ2IC6zPrB_1200x900.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 101
NICE!

My buddy has one from that era (he got his for $100), and mine (purchased new) is only a few years later. Excellent suit! Nice option of the warm collar (you can tuck a hood bib in it). The cover zipper is a nice touch too. I'd likely guess the seals will let go quickly, and the waterproof zipper is not going to hold up very long (been through that). The DUI Zip Seal (wrist and neck) are an awesome upgrade. You could send it in to DUI for an overhaul (likely a $1k cost) getting zips (and a spare), zipper, valves, and whatever (pockets?). It will also be leak checked, and minor ones addressed.

One thing you can do is close it up and see if it holds air overnight. A thermos/cup/etc in the wrist and neck seals will work. I used a hair dryer on cold for the air supply when I did mine.

Those look like glued on seals. If they need to be replaced, you can do it yourself including replaceable silicone seals for a little under $300. It's really not that hard, and Dive Right in Scuba was super helpful in guiding me in both the products to get and how to do it.

NICE!

My buddy has one from that era (he got his for $100), and mine (purchased new) is only a few years later. Excellent suit! Nice option of the warm collar (you can tuck a hood bib in it). The cover zipper is a nice touch too. I'd likely guess the seals will let go quickly, and the waterproof zipper is not going to hold up very long (been through that). The DUI Zip Seal (wrist and neck) are an awesome upgrade. You could send it in to DUI for an overhaul (likely a $1k cost) getting zips (and a spare), zipper, valves, and whatever (pockets?). It will also be leak checked, and minor ones addressed.

Thank you! Is yours also significantly longer that the "stated" height for the size? Mine is much longer than what's specified here: http://pdf.divedui.com/Sizing_Charts/drysuit_size_chart_mens_womens.pdf

I've read great things about the durability of these suits, so hoping to get a few dives in with it to see if I like it before I have to invest in any repairs. Any repair is likely to cost me more than I paid for the thing in the first place, which is always hard to come to grips with :)

One thing you can do is close it up and see if it holds air overnight. A thermos/cup/etc in the wrist and neck seals will work. I used a hair dryer on cold for the air supply when I did mine.

I might just go ahead and inflate the suit using a tank. The suit, thankfully, came with a hose.

Back
Top Bottom