How many dive cylinders do you currently own ? [Poll]

How many dive cylinders do you currently own ?

• Zero cylinders.

Votes: 41 11.9%
  • 1-2 cylinders

Votes: 50 14.5%
  • 3-4 cylinders

Votes: 46 13.4%
  • 5-6 cylinders

Votes: 46 13.4%
  • 7-8 cylinders

Votes: 29 8.4%
  • More then 8 cylinders.

Votes: 132 38.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

corrosion - no. I have, however, had cylinders drain when it got cold and the seats leaked....

I now plug them for winter storage....

Do you mean pressurized with the the valve on and a presdure holding plug (DGX?) in place where the DIN valve goes?... or?

4 x AL80
1 x AL72 doubles
1 x Steel 72 doubles
6 x Steel 72
2 x AL63

[Just don't ask how many regulators I own.]

i own an assortment of what i could find for cheap to put on students. I have 2 steel tanks that I use, and eventually want to have mostly steel hp 80s and 100s, plus a few ponies for advanced courses.
for general purpose recreational diving 3 tanks per person seems about right. this way you can get in a full day of diving on one trip to compressor.

2x Al80
first ones, nothing wrong with them for wife or kids, I can use more gas, at some point I practise SM with them... and of course they can be stages if I ever go there...
1x HP100
1x LP108 or 112 (both #s on there)
both used, the price was right, the LP one is my goto tank for a second dive after using the HP133 (both 8")
1xHP133
love it, can get it filled full, need it if diving with a fuel miser with an Al80... like my wife...
1x Al40, my trusted pony
1x Al19, my travel pony, if and when I bring it, maybe a 100%O2 tank some day, maybe an eternal ocassional pony... In retrospect I did not really need this tank, but it did make it easy to solo dive a few times in FL earlier this year.

To those with a lot of Al tanks:

Do you store them full when not in use for a while*** or do you actually drain to 500PSI or such?

*** If that never happens for you, kudus, but it happens for me...

4 x 3L
AL40
2 x AL80
2 x HP100
That is the primary collection that gets use

I keep an old 72 in the non-dive boat, just in case of anchor retrival or de-fouling needs. The smaller diameter fits under the seat where the larger AL80s and the like just don't fit. It was also my first tank and the last of my original dive gear that is still usable.

There are a few others I don't really have inventoried. There is one that is condemned, but useful when you want a tank shaped object you don't have to care about. Some 1800 PSI bastard. Just picked up a little AL13 that is out of hydro and VIS but still full of Argon.

Then if we start adding in the welding cylinders (CO2, MIG mix, Oxy, Acetylene, Argon, spares)
There are probably more that I am not thinking of right now.

All personal use, no training. Couple that I should probably get rid of.
Well if we are counting welding cylinders my total goes WAY up.

To those with a lot of Al tanks:

Do you store them full when not in use for a while*** or do you actually drain to 500PSI or such?

*** If that never happens for you, kudus, but it happens for me...
I own two Luxfer AL80's, one from 1987, the "bad" alloy and one from 1988, possibly the "bad alloy. I have owned them since new and they have almost always been stored full. I will probably retire them someday.

2X ALU 80*
2X ALU 92*
7X Steel 100
1X Steel 133. (Don’t like to dive with this big boy very often, so mostly use it to store gas to trans-fill CCR Dil cylinders.)
8X Steel 2 liter CCR
1X ALU 6 inflation
1X ALU 40
1X ALU 30
2X Steel 4 liter for Drager Atlantis**
1X ALU 4 liter for Drager Atlantis**
2X ALU 13, Inflation or Drager Inflation/BO
2X ALU 23 O2 cylinders kept on my boat for DAN emergency O2 unit
1X very old Spare Air
31 total cylinders

*These are for CC bailout and were made before 1990. Most local shops will not fill them, so as soon as they’re drained they’ll be relegated to scrap and replaced with ALU 80s. It’s been a while since I actually had to bail out, so they may stay with me for a while longer. I certainly hope so.

**I haven’t used the Atlantis for many years now. I’m thinking of giving it away and will post a notice on the SB rebreather forums when I offer it up to a good home.

How many dive cylinders do you currently own ?

What is the advantage of owning that number of cylinders ?

Why do you chose not to own any dive cylinders ?

Feel free to make any comments about owning vs not owning dive cylinders.

If you had unlimited funds (but not necessarily unlimited space), what would be the ideal number of cylinders you like to own ? Why ?

Number Owned: Zero
Advantage: I don't get asked to do any local diving work
Reason: I do not do any freshwater scuba or teaching anymore

If I had unlimited funds, I would have an aggressor style boat equipped with all the gear I need to go on a 2 year dive the world mission.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom