Need advice for new BP/Wing setup!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought one of the 23# HOG wings when they were on sale. I originally bought a steel BP but traded it for an alloy one because I bring everything "carry on" when I fly, and I prefer carrying weights pocketed on my waist strap where I feel more stable and not higher on the backplate. I use the standard harness for simplicity and less clutter. Works for me.

Another item:

I would go for a 40 lbs wing with steel or al backplate and a dir style harness.

If you are planning to buy a single tank wing, 40 lbs is more then enough up to 15 litre tanks. Larger wings would cause problems when you want to deflate the wing.

All plastic attachments like you see at the OMS set is not required for anything but has to be compensated with additional weight.

I recommend the tecline wing because I use one for my doubles.

Best regards

I maybe in minority, but for warm water, I will take an AL plate instead of SS. The weight is 4lb or so different, carrying 4lb of weight isn't big deal at all. It allows me to put that 4lb where I want it. Top cam band in my case because I am leg heavy by a large margin in wetsuit.

Ok people. After a LOT of back and forth I ordered the Halcyon Eclipse 20lbs wing in custom RED. with stainless steel backplate. Gray logo and webbing. Picture from web attached. Will update once I get the unit and get some dives on it soon!

PS: the allure of possibly NOT having to wear weight pockets was what swung me to go with the stainless plate. I did order the tank strap trim weights, so worst case I can just put 2-4 lbs of weight in there, along with 6lbs of the plate!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180718-195234.png
    Screenshot_20180718-195234.png
    375.6 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
So I received the Halcyon Eclipse in pristine condition. I can just say, after 30 dives with it, the quality and design on this product is superb.
Also I found the SS backplate more than enough weight. In fact I'm still to too heavy with no wetsuit, feels like I could drop 2 or possibly 4lbs.
IMAG1437.jpg
Was still negative even with 3mil suit.
More detailed review coming.

So I received the Halcyon Eclipse in pristine condition. I can just say, after 30 dives with it, the quality and design on this product is superb.
Also I found the SS backplate more than enough weight. In fact I'm still to too heavy with no wetsuit, feels like I could drop 2 or possibly 4lbs.View attachment 477680 Was still negative even with 3mil suit.
More detailed review coming.

How heavy is that SS backplate? I guess you were using aluminum Tanks?

The Halcyon SS backplate is 6 lbs. The single tank adapter is another 1.5 lbs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom