Experience with Teric

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

srhoque

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all - Just came back from a Cozumel dive trip, did 10 dives with the Teric.

What I liked
  1. The color screen is amazing, it really "pops" and underwater visibility (need to the hold the screen a bit away from the mask) is stellar. Great job Shearwater!! I had customized my own colors and was wowed away but how easy it is to read underwater.
  2. The beeps (example: reserve pressure reached) was audible easily underwater. Even the pop-up and warning messages were bold/clear and easy to dismiss by one button click.
  3. I was impressed by the battery life. Every day (after completing 2 dives), I would come to my hotel room with 86% battery left. I guess at that rate, you can do 10-12 dives before re-charging.
  4. The transmitter is freakingly good and reliable :) It holds a steady connection even from 10-15 feet away. Given the 9-9.5 hrs underwater, it never lost signal. Even on the dive boat, connection was steady
  5. The sapphire screen seems pretty sturdy. I had a few knicks but no impact on the screen
  6. The menu layout and the button/screen functionality was very easy to learn. Even without any prior training and coaching, my 18 year old son got a hang of the computer within 20-30 mins. This is a true example of a user friendly designed product.
  7. I always carry a backup gauge. Every now and then I check vital stats on both devices. Air, depth and temp reading on both devices were consistent always. This made me trust my Teric more and more as the dives progressed!!
  8. Syncing up the dive info with my iphone (Shearwater Cloud using bluetooth) was a breeze. No issues at all. All the dive info synced within minutes.
  9. The watch functionality is pretty neat, the dimensions of the computer is pretty small compared to competitive products. In fact, this can actually be used as a daily watch without someone questioning your fashion sense. It just blends in your hand (both me and my son have small wrists and we had no problems of bulkiness). Even the weight felt very light. I am amazed at Shearwater for packing in so much functionality in such a small and light weight product.
What can be improved
  1. Screen is not readable under direct sunlight on the dive boat. You have to try hard or go to a shaded area on the boat.
  2. After 6 dives, I got a random message "Transmitter T1 low on battery" but never got that message again. I thought the transmitters are rated for a longer battery life (I was prompt to turn off AI integration right after my dives to conserve battery)
  3. I know this is coming in a future firmware upgrade (ability to use the space for something else) but the TTS info window (when you customize the screen) is useless for recreational divers like me.
  4. On the surface, the sapphire screen catches fingerprint smudges easily. I know it goes away underwater but I like my screen squeaky clean always. Maybe I am doing something wrong, open for feedback.
  5. I bought a well reviewed Qi charger on Amazon but the Teric wouldn't charge using that device. This is not a biggy for me but I still wanted to mention. I love the compact charger provided by Shearwater and felt comfortable using it.
  6. Every other person on the dive boat was envious of my computer but then that is their problem, not mine :)
Overall, I absolutely loved the computer (or should I say watch :)). This is my first Shearwater product (I had a Mares Icon before which was junk, please pardon my language). Now I am a Shearwater fanboy for life!! Great job on a product that is well made, easy to use/trust and very easy and quick to learn the functionality!!

Anyone on the fence, should get the Teric. Highly recommended!!

I'm not sure turning off the AI integration on the Teric will have any effect on the transmitter battery. The transmitter stays on as long as there is pressure in the regs. This is why I always make sure to purge the system fully after testing my regs. Could this have been your issue?

I'm not sure turning off the AI integration on the Teric will have any effect on the transmitter battery. The transmitter stays on as long as there is pressure in the regs. This is why I always make sure to purge the system fully after testing my regs. Could this have been your issue?
That's a good point. I didn't always purge system, meaning transmitter was still active. Going forward, I will be more cognizant of this step. Thanks!

Based on my experience to date, the transmitters will go a very long time with good batteries - I'm at 100+ dives on one battery and still no battery warnings. I usually purge between dives, but don't always remember after checking pressure on the new tank.

Did some dives with Teric in lake that had bottom temperature 6 degrees (C). Used computer with dry gloves and thick undergloves. Teric was as easy to use as my Petrel. So, dryglove approved.

Just did my first dives with the Teric. Well really, it was my first dives with a Dive Computer period so its all new to me. With that said, I bought the Teric because I loved the display and figured I could grow into it. As for my dives, I went into them without really spending much time getting to know the watch. I mean I setup the Rec page to show my T1 air in place of TTS and that was really it. Got in the water and the started the Dive. Watch kicked on easily, info was very easy to read and after the first dive, I felt this was extremely user friendly to a newbie diver such as myself. By the second dive, I probably spent more time testing features on the watch than anything else seeing how it displays ascent rates and warnings. I must say, I am more than happy I went with the Teric. Sure for rec diving there may have been much cheaper options out there that would work just fine for my skill level but you just can't skip by the "shear" sexiness of the Teric!! I def agree that for anyone on the fence about it to go for it.

Ok guys I am 99% there pi pulling the trigger on a Teric. Currently I use a Cobalt 2 which has a fantastic screen. They are great computers when they work, but I am looking for AI.
Even the Cobalt can be hard to read in direct bright sunlight. I can live with that, PROVIDED the screen is EASILY readable at safety stop in clear tropical waters such as Cozumel on a sunny day.

Can you help please and let me know what the screen is like as described above? Thanks!

I bought a well reviewed Qi charger on Amazon but the Teric wouldn't charge using that device. This is not a biggy for me but I still wanted to mention. I love the compact charger provided by Shearwater and felt comfortable using it.

My Samsung only works if the Teric is not in fast charge mode. Take a look at that when you have a chance.

Ok guys I am 99% there pi pulling the trigger on a Teric. Currently I use a Cobalt 2 which has a fantastic screen. They are great computers when they work, but I am looking for AI.
Even the Cobalt can be hard to read in direct bright sunlight. I can live with that, PROVIDED the screen is EASILY readable at safety stop in clear tropical waters such as Cozumel on a sunny day.

Can you help please and let me know what the screen is like as described above? Thanks!

I had zero issues seeing the screen on 10 dives in the keys in July. On the boat in direct sunlight it's a little washed out like ever other screen.

Note: We had two Cobalt 2 on board and both had issues or failed during the trip, beware.

Back
Top Bottom