Another BP/W Thread...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is just an opinion.

To me the backplate is just a platform to attach a wing to and some kind of harnesss system (be it hogarthian, deluxe padded, adjustable, etc.) to in order to attach it to one's body.

Is it simpler than jacket BC? - perhaps
Is it more modular? - usually
Is it more customizable? - usually
Will it allow you to wear less weight? - perhaps
are they comfortable? - more so than one might expect
are they the end all be all of BCDs? - hardly

-Z

It is simpler than a jacket BC (or a back inflation BC)? - Depends how you define "simpler". Overall, yes.
Is it more modular? - Yes, this is what makes it more versatile than a jacket style BC.
Is it more customized? - Absolutely.
Will it allow you to wear less weight? - Yes. An AL plate is two pounds.
Are they comfortable? - Of all the people I've introduced to BP/w, only one thought it wasn't comfortable.
Are they the end all be all BCD? - There is no such thing.

To answer the question in the original post, Scubapro and Apex offer a BP/W. The former is very similar to Halcyon's. Even XS Scuba offers a BP/W.

slight corrections

Is it simpler than jacket BC? - usually
Is it more modular? - always
Is it more customizable? - always
Will it allow you to wear less weight? - always
are they comfortable? - more so than one might expect
are they the end all be all of BCDs? - to each his own on that one

A backplate does not change one's weight requirement...unless you are refering to the fact that there is typically not possitively buoyant padding to counter. But if that is not the case then all a backplate does is move the weight from your pockets or weight belt to your torso....where it is better distributed.

-Z

A backplate does not change one's weight requirement...unless you are refering to the fact that there is typically not possitively buoyant padding to counter. But if that is not the case then all a backplate does is move the weight from your pockets or weight belt to your torso....where it is better distributed.

-Z

with VERY few exceptions *and only fabric plates that aren't really "backplates"*, they will always allow for less weight. DSS Kydex and all of the aluminum plates are 2lbs negative before hardware is put on them and none of the jackets have any metal in them so they all float. Even the Oxycheq fabric plates are more negative than the jackets

(on the lighter side)

What have the romans ever given us in return?

Besides the aqueduct, sanitation, roads, irrigation, medicine, education, wine, public baths, public order, and peace? Hmm? :mad:

Last edited:
Love my BP and wings for all my diving. Tech or rec....warm or cold water. For me leaps and bounds better than a jacket bc. Very happy with my Oxycheq wings.

For a recreational rig that is affordable but could later be used for tech, look at HOG. They have a very affordable hard plate rig as well as the total bouyancy control system with softplate that is a nice hybrid between bp&w and other common recreational bc's.

BP/W does seem to be the consensus but don't think of it as the end all be all buoyancy compensators. The backplate shines best when needs to support the load of double tanks...otherwise it is just a BC that is inherently negatively buoyant that allows one to remove some or all weight from pockets or a weightbelt depending on the circumstances they are diving. Here in Europe I have seen "Tech" divers using "normal" BCs...people tend to dive what they have. You don't need to be GUE or DIR certified or dive doubles to be a tech diver...one can dive a BC they have or find comfortable with a single back mount tank and sling a second tank for their deco...some of the folks I dive with will wear a single 15L or 18L tank and carry a tank with O2 for accelerated deco at a 6m deco stop.

I am not against BP/W setups...I dive one myself...but they do seem to be hyped up around here. My recommendation if you buy one is figure out how much lead you need to comfortably control your buoyancy at the safety stop at the end of your dive (when your tank is most buoyant), keep in mind that this amount will be most affected by any change in your exposure suit thickness. Then compute 1Kg for each mm the stainless steel back plate you want to buy is thick...that will give you an idea of how much weight you can cut from weight belt.

As you shop, visit different stores and websites and look more at the specs of the back plate than the brand...for instance on the DGX website it seems like all the standard SS backplates are roughly 3mm thick and weigh @ 3kg (like the dive rite ss BP)...this might give you the false impression that is universal...that would not be true....but I assume many of their customers are diving a doubles rig a kg or 2 less in the BP is not much of a problem since they are typically carrying a lot of weight from their tanks, extra 1st stage, possibly a deco bottle, etc. If you are diving a single back mount bottle then this becomes more relevant in my opinion. I am happy with my setup but if I could go back in time with the knowledge I have now, I would choose a thicker plate for the conditions I regularly dive in.

Remember...BP / weight belt / pockets...the amount of ballast you need does not change, you are only changing how you are carrying it.

-Z
Thank you for the rational response regarding bp/w usage. Scubaboard tends to be an echo chamber of bp/w and Perdix advice even when they may not neasessarily be the optimal choice for a particular dive style.

I'm a new OW Certified diver and would like to get some gear. From the general consensus on here BP/W is the ideal go to BCD. I plan on diving tropical where a 3mm will be the max Wetsuit I'd wear and plan on diving single Aluminum tanks. But I would like to get into technical dives in the future.

The brands that keep popping up is Dive Rite, Deep Sea Supply, and Halcyon. Any other recommendations? I'm going to go more towards a SS plate since I was using 8lbs in a Hydros Pro during my certification dives.

While there are many brands to choose from, some arguably better than others in terms of product quality and support, I would recommend letting requirements and features inform your choices. While most BP/W setups have similar, standardized, or ubiquitous design features that might allow you to mix-n-match components from various manufactures; they can also differ in some significant ways.

The backplates themselves can be made from a wide variety of materials such as Stainless Steel, Aluminum, Titanium, Nylon, Plastic, Carbon Fiber, etc. Each of these may be offered in a variety of thicknesses, or alternately be weight-relieved to make them more travel friendly; or have other unique design features. The wings/bladders come in many different levels of lift (capacity/size), shapes (donut vs "U" vs bungeed, etc.), and/or configurations based around an intended use-case. The webbing/harnesses can range from simple one-piece designs, to more elaborate multi-component systems. Some BP/W products may be specifically designed for single-tank usage, while others may not and need to be aided by use of a Single Tank Adapter (STA) add-on. Perhaps you would prefer a complete factory-assembled system, or maybe you're more comfortable building your own system piecemeal (component by component)?

The bottom line here is to spend some time researching the features that best support how you intend to use the system. For example: If you are going to be doing single tank recreational diving in the tropics, then you would NOT need a 6mm SS backplate with a 60lbs bundee wing, when a 3mm SS/BP w/ weight-relieved cutouts and 22lbs donut might be better suited to the task. Aluminum, titanium, nylon, plastic, or carbon fiber might be better for travel, but might also require carrying more ballast when diving or have differing cost or durability considerations, etc.

The basic BP/W is one of those inventions that remains a classic timeless design for some very good reasons. The harness, backplate, and tank all integrate as a single unit that is streamlined and moves as an extension of your body. It is simple, robust, modular, and customizable; and is inherently optimized for weight distribution and unmatched in-water performance.

If I had to pick a down-side it might be that BP/W systems mostly (not always) come in one size; regardless, you may have to spend some time in getting it setup to fit correctly. But, once it's right you really don't have to mess with it much.

Hope this is helpful!

Last edited:
The brands that keep popping up is Dive Rite, Deep Sea Supply, and Halcyon. Any other recommendations?

I own 2 DSS single tank wings and do not recommend the company. Also they are temporarily out of business so you could not order one anyway. I also own a Halcyon Eclipse 30, it is a fine piece of kit, but IMHO is not worth the premium price. At one time Halcyon was the best you could buy, but now other manufacturers have caught up with them. I have not used a Dive Rite wing so I cannot give you a first hand opinion. However, the DGX package seems to be popular.

As someone that has been around Scubaboard for a while, there are some people that I would trust for gear recommendations and some I would not. If I needed a new setup today I would purchase the VDH package. The wing gets excellent reviews from people I trust and I have purchased from the company in the past and always have been satisfied. While you want a steel backplate and the package only comes with aluminum I would call and ask if a steel one was available and what the additional cost would be.

I own 2 DSS single tank wings and do not recommend the company.

I am interested in the sentiment behind this statement. I own a dive rite system but there are features of the DSS wings that I wish I had considered. Other than the company being temporarily closed it would nice to know what concerns issues you have had with this company.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom