"Waterproof Paper" for DIY Log Book?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

qdvuu

New
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'd like to print out my own log book sheets using a computer, Word doc and an InkJet or LaserJet printer. Rather than using standard paper which doesn't hold up when wet, I'd like to use some sort of "waterproof paper." I'm familiar with buying packs of specialty paper from an office supply store, like the Avery products, so perhaps there's something that fits my needs whether it's actually paper or some sort of plastic film. Regardless, I'm looking for individual sheets that...

- Are waterproof or water resistant
- Allow the ink from an InkJet or LaserJet to print nicely and then hold up when wet out on a boat
- Able to hold a stamp from a dive boat/operator without smearing
- I can write on using a fine tip Sharpie or ball point pen.

Your suggestions are appreciated!

-q

Printer Paper

I use the duracopy version for underwater data sheets, works awesome! We write on them with pencil, but they hold sharpie ink decently well if you give it time to dry. Not sure about a stamp. It is plastic and will not rip, but feels very similar to rite-in-the-rain paper (but less creepy if you know what I mean).

If you just need water resistant, there are probably other options as well, this stuff is totally water proof.

-Chris

Would this work for you?
DiveLogs - Blank Paper Dive Log Refills.
They offer Write in the rain as an option. The issue is water based ink. If it needs to be waterproof, then waterbased stamps and pens generally won't work. I think you are aware of this, so I'm just presenting an option.

I spent time searching for and trying out a few types of waterproof paper to use for outdoor signage printed using my basic laser printer.

Tested Rite in the Rain copier paper, held the print fine but not as durable as needed. I ended up using Xerox NeverTear synthetic paper, very happy with the result after 2 years of use. Bit pricey, but worth it to get the required results. Paper and print holds up great to repeated wet cycles and and UV exposure, can write on it with pen, pencil, etc. I expect it would hold a stamp fine under dry conditions, but not sure about stamp ink holding up to wet conditions. If you want the stamps for verification of dives, perhaps asking the dive operator/DM/etc to sign off on the dives with pen would work better than trusting stamp ink to hold up to wet conditions.

Looking back over the Rite in the Rain products, I see a synthetic Duracopy paper which probably would work also.

I looked at the water resistant or waterproof paper for my log book.
At about $1 per sheet I prefer to use regular paper and just keep my logbook dry. Even if the normal paper gets a little damp it still drys out and is fine even if it is a little wrinkled.
Make your notes on a slate and log after the dive when you are dry.

You can find some waterproof paper (plastic) stocks on Amazon in standard cut-sheet sizes. The materials are also stocked at paper merchants, the folks who sell in bulk to local commercial printers, and a local print shop could probably tell you who's around.

The materials break into two main classes. Latex based products, which take ink very well, and are designed for INKJET printers. These will melt and do a great job destroying laser printers. And then there are heavier synthetics that are very much like the Tyvek housewrap (same thing as the big Fedex envelopes) made of a fiber material. They take toner very well and withstand heat, but they are also more absorptive and plain ink may smear more on them.

You will find that some of these "papers" have treated surfaces so a pencil can grab and write on them better. Others hold ballpoint ink (and the gel inks can take longer to dry anyway) or other types of ink differently. So it may pay to try out several different kinds of "paper" to find one that does well in your printer AND takes your pencil or ink (Fisher Space Pen works under water, and sets well) as well.

"Inkjet" materials probably will hold rubber stamp ink best, letting it dry quickly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom