Water Resistent Log Books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vinsanity

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm confident this is somewhere in the history of the forum, but I'm having a hard time finding it.

I keep both a paper and an electronic log of my dives, but I'm starting to get annoyed at getting my log books wet before filling/retiring them. Inevitably somewhere along the way they get wet.

I'm thinking about getting a divelog.com book of "Rite in the Rain" water-resistant paper, but they call out that water-based ink stamps can't stick to the coated paper. I do a fair amount of tropical/resort diving, so I do like to collect the stamps.

Anyone have any experience here with how frequent dive shop stamps are water-based ink? Thanks.

EDIT: Bolded the critical part that responders don't seem to be reading.

I take a paper & pencil in a jar (if on a boat) and in the car (if shore dive). Write my data down and transfer it to my paper log book, which never leaves the house. I suppose you could do that with dive computer data as well.

I keep mine in a zippered notebook with a pen and my certification and DAN cards. My computer (G2) keeps a log, and at the end of the morning or afternoon dives, I fill my sheets out from the info in my computer's log out once my equipment is off and stowed, and I am (semi) dry. I keep the notebook in my dry bag during the dive. This way, if I need signatures or stamps, I can get them on the already-filled-out sheets. The zippered notebook repels the random splash. I got it at my dive shop.

I keep mine in a zippered notebook with a pen and my certification and DAN cards. My computer (G2) keeps a log, and at the end of the morning or afternoon dives, I fill my sheets out from the info in my computer's log out once my equipment is off and stowed, and I am (semi) dry. I keep the notebook in my dry bag during the dive. This way, if I need signatures or stamps, I can get them on the already-filled-out sheets. The zippered notebook repels the random splash. I got it at my dive shop.
This is what I do today. But across 50-ish dives (life of a book), inevitably once the binder will get left in the dive bag and get wet under the boat bench, and water makes it through the zipper or maybe it's soaking through the cover. Not sure, but it gets wet enough inside to be annoying, but not like flooded and destroy the book.

I also considered a closer to water proof binder, but I can't find one that ponied up for a good water-resistant zipper. Rite in the Rain got the closest.

My paper logbook never gets near water. I fill out out later--sometimes days later. The only information that goes into it that I can't easily remember is in the computer log, which I can access in a minute.

My dry logbook and wet notes share a disk 'ring' binder system, so I can easily move pages between them. You might have boat and home/hotel logbooks, and transfer pages between trips so only some could get wet, and the paper could still take any dive stamps.

Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 12.40.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 12.23.45 PM.png

I have several copies of the transient cover, disks, tabs, and pages for various projects, in the small Junior page size. The below starter kit is convenient but has few pages, you'd want more, or the punch, and I like the wafer tabs better. Plus you can buy more translucent covers and disks. Their paper is high quality but not cheap, but should be good for log pages and any types of dive stamps.
Circa® Starter Kit - Levenger

For my wet notes, I use their heavy duty punch to create the needed slots in the pages and inner covers, and replaced the zip ties in normal wet note books with these disks. I can move pages between wet notes, on-site log/notes book, and home log/note book as needed. I find the 1/2" disks are best for small dry and wet notebooks, the 1/4" disks make turning pages more work.

I use the divelog rite in the rain products. I do not consistently get them wet but so far it has not been an issue (400+ dives). I’ve had a few stamps smear or transfer page to page but it had nothing to do with them getting wet.

edit: you could always keep your own small non water based ink pad in your binder

I have used divelogs.com for years with no issues but I also log after the day of diving is done or a few days later. I never take my log book on a boat and if I want one of the boats stamp I will put a blank page in a zip lock bag. I also use their gear tags and if you setup an account all the logbook pages and tags you design are saved and easy to reorder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom