Backplates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VDH is still my go to for warm water, maybe the FP will travel to Truk with me next month too. I have used it in SoCal in a Hollis neotek with the Kraken but a lot more dives with single hose Regs. DGX sells a nice STA which will move the tank away slightly, for me it works great as is.

I have been using Halcyon and Dive Rite backplates for the past 20 years or so, and they're all still going strong. While I prefer the Halcyon stainless steel BP, the Dive Rite aluminum plates are just fine (and were a real bargain back when I bought them). I have seen the Hollis stuff and wasn't very impressed. I think I'd pass. I have seen the DGX plates and wings, and they are pretty good, especially for the price. DGX is a good company to do business with also. So if I was looking for a first BP now, I think I'd go with DGX. I would avoid anything fancy or gimmicky. A basic BP of good quality is all you need. Finally I prefer an aluminum BP for diving wet and a SS plate for diving dry.

I'm curious how the VDH plate really compares in use. I have been told by someone else here that the VDH plate is really good if you are diving a double hose reg. But, that for normal single tank diving it is not ideal.

For single tank diving the Freedom Plate takes the prize. However, my FP has not gotten much use in the last few years because I primarily travel with and dive a DH reg. But I still take along a single hose reg as a backup and dive it regularly. The VDH plate, whether using a single or double hose regulator, is much more comfortable than a plate designed for a double tank setup or a poodle jacket. I've not noticed any issues of the tank riding my bottom-perhaps for someone with different physiology than me it could be different.

Update! I ended up going with the HOG Total Buoyancy System. The rig has come in, been assembled... and got wet in the local indoor pool. It performed very well and I recommend it so far. My only issue is I only had about 10 feet of water so I really couldn’t dial in my weight and trim... couple that with the some new Dive Rite fins (which felt amazing) that are negatively buoyant and I still have a bit of work ahead of me. For the ones using BP/W... how many of y’all have weights up high, ribs/shoulder area. I feel like I have my amount of weight in check but need to spread it out a bit. And I get that I really need some deeper water to really dial it in.

A pool is actually the perfect place to dial in weighting and trim. The shallower you are, the harder it is to control your buoyancy. If you get it dialed in in less than 10 feet of water, you will be good to go in the deeper stuff.

I have weighed a few different pairs of fins in the pool, using a digital luggage scale. Size Large Dive Rite XT fins were 0.4 pounds negative. Not as "light" as, for example, Deep6 Eddy fins, but still pretty light. The same as Atomic Blades and lighter than Hollis F1 or F1 LTs.

Needless to say, they would be closer to neutral in salt water.

With my BP/W, I virtually never need to add any weight at all. But, that is because I normally use steel tanks.

If I am having an issue with my feet wanting to sink, I start by moving my tank up in the straps to as high as it will go without me hitting my head on it. If my feet still sink, then I switch to lighter* fins. If I end up with my Deep6 fins on (my lightest) and my feet still want to sink, then I put a pair of small trim weight pouches ($10 each - DGX Gears Trim Weight Pocket (each)) on my top tank strap and put a little weight in there. Normally, I never have to go as far as adding weight.

* I say "lighter" meaning "less negatively buoyant". Lighter on land does not automatically mean they are less negative in the water.

I initially got a steel OMS plate for a Hollis 23# wing and at first strapped 4# to the lower tank strap. It was very tippy for me and I moved the weight to my waist and it was satisfactory, but not great. I recently traded the steel plate for aluminum and am carrying 4# on my shoulder straps in front at shoulder level and 4# on my waist. This felt really good on a pool check out. I have the ability to easily shift things around because I use the pockets that stuartv mentioned. Anyways, I much prefer the Aluminum plate and feel it offers the most flexibility for warm water with Al 80s. I am 5'7" and weigh 140.

Back
Top Bottom