How not to lose my wife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Midget Clown

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Being new to diving everyone seems to look the same under water. Is it ok to use bright hoses on your reg to help her stand out? We rent most of our gear when we travel so not sure how else to set her apart.

Clip a rubber chicken to her butt when you dive.
CLUCK.jpg

Get her a wetsuit in a bright color. Fins to match. Don’t use a bright green hose.

A yellow hose would indicate that it's the hose to be donated in an out of air situation - t's a universal convention. Often green signifies Nitrox only. They also sell hose wraps so you don't have to replace hoses. Here's a couple options - most shops stock them also, a lot of shops carry the Trident line.
Trident Regulator Spiral Hose Wrap
hose wrap buy at LeisurePro

Another option might be something like this - esp. at hight although you will see the flash in daylight also. GLO-TOOB , High performance Signal and diving Light - sold on Amazon. It ties onto your tank valve generally. I have one - they're really bright. They allow you to change the pattern also in the rare instance that someone else has the same one - never happened to me. There's another popular flashing strobe light sold but they're only sold in white/red.

Last edited:
(Keep in mind that some will say that "as a buddy team, you should stay close enough so that keeping track is never a problem, but realistically....)
It depends on what gear is yours vs a rental. I have seen:
The previously mentioned hose wraps;
Brightly marked fins-the actual color of the fins, or painted/sharpied names, clever sayings etc. on fins;
(depends on water temp) distinctive colored booties/sox/ dive skin/wet suit/gloves- hopefully,it would be unlikely that there would be more than one person on the same dive with the same "distinctive" colors;

One of the more most creative was a couple that attached bright, colorful ribbons around their regulator first stages/ hoses in a way that did not interfere with connections- the ribbons trailed behind the divers' head like very long hair.
You might be able to make a temporary rig like that (velcro??) if you rent regs, but be sure to ask the boat crew-some will get testy if they see it and don't know what it is, or they may feel that it is a safety hazard.

Also keep in mind that colors do fade with depth.
Also, with practice, staying together/ finding each othjer will become easier.
Have fun, dive safely.

Ha ha I have seen divers wearing some pretty silly stuff to solve this. One scuba instructor I knew spray painted a lot of his gear pink... he said he stopped losing gear he’d loaned or that had gotten shuffled around after that!

Great way to get her bit in the arse by a cuda! :D
I wear a rubber chicken on every dive, and see 'cudas on many. But none have ever bitten me....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom