Weighting a backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KiltedOne

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
2ED83860-D5C7-4EA8-9BCA-D2729E0B4A19.jpeg
To minimize my add-on weights, has anyone ever tried plating their backplate? Mine is a DSS, who offer steel plates, but I was thinking bolted on lead. I was bored and threw this together (adds 8lbs), but I’m interested in thoughts from those more experienced.

I originally was going to try P-weights, but the DSS plate/wing don't really allow room for it.

Last edited:
For trim. I tend to go 1/3rd weight over lungs and 2/3rd on belt. I have a weight that bolts in channel. I have DR and unknown brand SS BP. I guess it has more to do with trim rather than ad on weights. So only rubber weigh belt.

These plates only add 8lbs to the backplate. Probably will have some QR pockets on my harness as well, just not anywhere near the weight on my jacket bcd.

One other consideration is trim. You might find that you need marginally more weight the upper or mid-level on the backplate. Perhaps it’s best to get comfortable with your kit and make sure that you are weighted properly before customizing the BP.

Looks heavy... 10-15 lbs.+ plate? Will you have any ballast to ditch if need be?

OP is in dry suit country ... single tank AL80 is in the 20-30lb range of lead ....

_R

I had a DSS SS BP and the DSS bolt-in weights. I recently sold it all.

If I needed that much weight, I would put 4 trim weight pockets on my tank straps and put weight in those. That would probably support 20#. If I still needed more, I would probably just put the rest on a weight belt. I don't know. Usually I don't need any weight. When I do, it's for diving in a drysuit with thick undies and in that case, I dive doubles and use a V-weight.

If I needed that much weight and were diving a single tank, I would definitely use a steel tank.

Back
Top Bottom