Basic video editing program for E-PL5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan B.

Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe more of a computer question.

When I try to edit video in Photoshop CS5 (Import video frames to layers) I get: "Could not complete the Video Frames to Layers command because Quick Time version 7.1 or later is required." but despite downloading, removing, reloading, restarting etc. QuickTime 7.9 several times it keeps coughing up the same message and I can find no online solution that can resolve it beyond laying waste left and right with a mighty hammer.

So time to move beyond PS. Can anyone recommend good, basic video editing software that works well with their Olympus camera? I don't need movie quality, but, if possible, something beyond simple cut and paste.

Thanks.

Why are you using Photoshop for video? It's intended for still photography. Maybe you meant Premier Pro. There is Premiere Elements which is a bit easier to use.

Well, on account a' I'm dim, poor and lazy. I'm just starting to learn about video--having concentrated previously just on photographs--so I really don't know anything about it and understood it could be done on PS, which I already have, so...

Before being able to effectively recommend editing software, we would have to know is this for a PC or a MAC? That will definitely effect what gets recommended.

Premiere Elements is a good starting point. Reasonable in cost and does the basics. I found I wasn't doing enough video editing to warrant the steep cost & continuous learning curve of Premiere Pro

Hopefully either Elements Premier incorporated the Olympus codec or Olympus modified their output, which looked 'normal' but turned out to be proprietary. When I last tried Premier it would not play with the video output of my EPL-1. REALLY pissed me off.

Try AVS Video Editor, there is a free download with 30 days trial. I use it for my video editing and assembling videos.
I don't think I have ever read the instructions, the prompts that come up first time you use it are a good guide.
It also is nowhere near as memory hungry as Adobe Premier, so works on older computers without freezing-up or running super slow (I have no connection with AVS and only found them through a google seach to edit my Oly Video files)

Back
Top Bottom