OMS Regulator Recall - Based on where you live

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jja2014

New
Reaction score
Posting this for information so that people can decide for themselves if they want to purchase, dive and use a regulator with a "small problem".

OMS - Ocean Management Systems has only done a partial recall on the regulator they released last year. To our knowledge ALL regulators were manufactured by same company in Asia....however they only recalled regulators sold in the United States.

Why? Is the regulator different in Europe?

Would you purchase a brand new regulator knowing it had been recalled in the United States?

Thomas Dederichs, BtS Europa AG and partial owner of OMS says it's a "small problem". DUI on the other hand has recalled ALL regulators and to our knowledge is not selling any nor has it been able to reliable fix the issue. Visit the DUI website and you will see it is not selling them. Together they co-own OMS.

Profits over safety?

Why has this all been hush hush.... OMS promotes the regulator on their social media.

Thumbs down for OMS, DUI and BTS

I don't see where they are hiding the recall. It is on their website.

According to their recall notice the diaphragm on the first stage is defective. That is not a small problem. If it blows you are without gas.

A potential reason they are not recalling the European regulators is that they may have come from a different production batch.

To my knowledge the regulators are all from the same manufacture in China (I believe) and all from the same lot. It came down to what was determined an 'incidence'. And perhaps the US CPSC has more pull to protect consumers. I am not sure. I do not believe anyone at DUI was actively diving or wanted to dive the regulator. It was very hush hush and staff was chastised for using certain jargon.

My understanding was DUI shipped a number of regulators. They did have problems. They recalled these and fixed and shipped out the fixed regulators. They had problems with the fixed regulators and recalled these. To my knowledge DUI is not selling the OMS regulator. BTS is selling the OMS regulator.

@kathydui The biggest OEM manufacturer of private brand regulators is Ocean Diver Supply from Taiwan. They are probably the OEM manufacturer of the OMS regulators.

In general, the E.U. provides much greater consumer protection than the U.S. does. However, in the U.S. you are much more likely to get sued and the payouts are greater.

The question is why is DUI allowing BTS to sell these regulators in Europe? OMS is a worldwide brand and actions by BTS can harm the brand both in Europe and outside. Think about that recent incident where the doctor was forcibly removed from an aircraft because of overbooking. United took a big hit to its brand but the flight was not actually operated by United but by one of their regional partners. When United tried to point that out it did not matter to the public. The plane said United on it, so they were at fault.

OMS does not have the best reputation in the dive industry because of the missteps of the former owner. DUI has a good reputation. If these regulators become a problem they could also tarnish the DUI brand.

To my knowledge the regulators are all from the same manufacture in China (I believe) and all from the same lot. It came down to what was determined an 'incidence'. And perhaps the US CPSC has more pull to protect consumers. I am not sure. I do not believe anyone at DUI was actively diving or wanted to dive the regulator. It was very hush hush and staff was chastised for using certain jargon.

My understanding was DUI shipped a number of regulators. They did have problems. They recalled these and fixed and shipped out the fixed regulators. They had problems with the fixed regulators and recalled these. To my knowledge DUI is not selling the OMS regulator. BTS is selling the OMS regulator.

Kathy,

I think you may want to have your username changed or have some sort of "disclaimer" in your signature as "kathydui" and "Dive Equipment Manufacturer" can lead some people to feel that your responses are still official communications from DUI.

While you have always been honest and forthcoming in your communications, I don't believe this same wording would have been used as an "official" response to the OMS regulator recall question. Most manufacturers would not state "...do not believe anyone at DUI was actively diving or wanted to dive the regulator." on a public forum...even if true.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom