Reg mouthpiece rubs gum due to pulling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also take a look at a more flexible hose for your primary, such as MiFlex. I have been using this for some time without a problem. The extra flexibility can be a big help.

+1 on the flexible hose. Another benefit is they're much lighter - which is a plus for travel. I have a smaller mouth so got a smaller mouthpiece and that was very helpful. Also, I think I bit down pretty hard when I was a newer diver - a stress thing. Now I'm gonna go look up the other suggestions.

My reg mouthpiece rubs my lower right gum. I have changed the mouthpiece and it still occurs. I think it is because the reg is pulled down to the right. Any suggestion besides biting down hard on the mouthpiece?
In the meantime before trying out the other proposed fixes above, continue with alternate positioning to take contact pressure of the standard mouthpiece off your lower gum. Biting down harder works, but then you will have further problems with resulting jaw fatigue over several days of repetitive dives.

I had the same problem after nearly a month of consecutive daily dives with mandatory gas switches and long decompression profiles -by the end of the second week, my lower gum was developing a pressure contact ulcer because of that lower flange of the mouthpiece. The only solution was to open my mouth, push the reg in further, and take the entire mouthpiece assembly and hold it all in with slight bight pressure of the teeth and lips seal. It looks weird (Dive Guide said it looked like I was trying to swallow my second stage), but it works. . .

Last edited:
I had the same problem you're describing, and received the same suggestions everyone has listed above. I first tried cutting about 1/8" off the edge of the mouthpiece where it was rubbing my gum, and presto, problem solved and I never put in place any of the other fixes. Try trimming your mouthpiece first -- it's fast, easy, and free. And if it doesn't work you're going to get rid of that mouthpiece anyway.

I got a molded MP years ago after the regular one was nearly blown out of my mouth going down the anchor line in the Gulf of Mexico.

I'm a fan of:

1 - selecting the proper length hose.

2 - utilize an angle adapter.

3 - find a mouthpiece you like. I like the "Comfo-Bite" type. We are all different....

4 - I do use first stage swivels for house routing. Not sure it aids in push/pull like the other items can.

I'd like to caution you against swivels and bends against most of the advice in this thread. Both create impingement and fire hazards with high o2 mixes (41%+). Not like critical immediate hazards, but significantly non-negligible hazards for sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom