January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jarand

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We may go to Hawaii in January and wondered about diving then. Too cold or rough? We are not beginners but not advanced either. We've heard about the night manta dives and would love to do that, as well as other dives. As far as which island(s), our options are open. Suggestions greatly appreciated!

January is fine. Don't know where you will be. Maui has some great spots for diving- Molokini, Lanai, Molokai to name a few.

Each of the islands has their own highlights and points of interest for sure. I feel that if the vacation focus in on diving that you would be best to choose from Big Island, Maui or Kauai. Maui is probably the busiest of the three with Kauai being more on the "quiet" side. Each island also offers very professional options for divers of all interest and skill levels. You really are in a win-win situation with choosing in my opinion. Narrow down what your vacation focus is and what other needs and interests you have and I think you'll find the answers and suggestions start flowing in for you. Do you plan to do and self guided shore? Shore or boat guided?

Take a look at the Manta dives on Big Isle out of Kona for sure (which it sounds like you have). Some divers enjoy the Pelagic Magic dives over there as well. WHOA (Wild Hawaiian Ocean Adventures) is a must do trip if you visit Big Isle in my opinion. For Maui you should look at Molokini, Lanai's Cathedral dives, and shore dives "Mala Wharf" and "Makena Landing." On land the Maui Ocean Center is fantastic. I think dive with Pauline and her staff at Mike Severn's is a must do. Kauai research should certainly include Niihau, which in my humble opinion is some of the very best diving in the islands. Koloa Landing is a fantastic shore dive here with endless critters. A trip to the Waimea Canyon is fantastic for hikers (just not after diving).

Potentially the most important thing to be aware of is that in the winter time the northern shores of all the islands are subject to large (sometimes jaw dropping swell). This can eliminate or at least make any diving on northern/northeastern/northwestern shores difficult or impossible. This should factor into the considerations when you are determine where you are staying. Nothing worse than finding out you have to drive an hour or more every day to get to dive.

There's a ton of people here that will help you as you narrow things down. Please feel free to send me a PM on here if you desire. I'd be happy to help with any questions that you may have to help make sure you have a fantastic trip to Hawaii.

Cheers
A

We've been to the Big Island in late-December - early-January and diving was impacted with large winter swells. I jokingly refer to our the first time as a 'full-contact' diving experience. I came back pretty bruised and banged-up. Still, the diving was pretty good. The downside of diving during a swell event is the fact that the dive companies use sheltered dive sites. If the swell event lasts a couple of days, you can end-up doing repeat dives at the same sites. This said, it's hard to predict ocean conditions. I'd still dive the Big Island in January; of course, I'd dive the Big Island anytime I get a chance to.

-AZTinman

I dove Maui in late November and early December and it was great. I dove Hawai'i (big island) in March and it was great. I don't know about January but one thing I do know, don't miss the Manta Ray Night Dive.

Dove last January on Maui for two weeks. Humpback whales were a highlight. Conditions were unremarkable but it was enjoyable to surf and dive the same day. As mentioned some sites were not accessible due to the swells.

Enjoy the experience!
Cameron

+1 to what the others have said.

We have been to Kauai, Oahu and the Big Island several times in January and enjoyed great diving.
Sometimes a swell may move in and make it too rough to dive...if so, find a different adventure that day.

Enjoy your trip...lots of fun to be had.

Thank you all. I really appreciate your responses. We are debating between January and May, thinking May will give us more diving options and better weather in some of the land sites too. Either way, it looks fabulous!

Lived here on Oahu for 12.5 years........ I would go Jan over May anytime. Flights and hotels usually a bit cheaper and way more chances to see W H A L E S !!!!

Here's a lucky snap of one of our buddies Anthony with a humpback in 2015 just outside of Waikiki!

On the Big Island you want to dive the Kona coast for both boat dives and shore dives. Better diving in the summer months as in the winter there will be northwest swells that have to be watched. Just not as predictable water in winter but still can be good diving. We take our guests on shore dives from Miloli'i to Kei'ie that stay at sugar cottage (sugar-inc.com).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom