Choosing a Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maxpcf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello everyone,

I'm going to be purchasing a drysuit in the next few months. I'm buying one because my dives in caves are getting to the length where I'm beginning to get cold and because I want to be able to perform decompression dives in the winter without worrying about being too cold on deco. (I'm from Florida)

What I'm looking for in a drysuit (feel free to add or comment on my opinion)

Ease of Deflation. I want a suit that it's easy to dump air and that fills evenly. I don't want a suit that complicates buoyancy.

Trim & Fit. I'm looking for a suit that fits correctly and in such a way that doesn't place too much air in one area. I don't want a suit that screws my trim.

Comfort. I don't care too much about comfort, but I don't want an uncomfortable suit.

Reliability/Durability. I'd like a suit that will last me a while and I would prefer one that doesn't puncture easily.

Metal Zipper Vs. Plastic: I consistently hear that metal is less likely to leak is better.

Let me know your thoughts. If you recommend a suit, please let me know why. I've spoken to too many people who recommend whatever suit they sell because "it's the best".

Thanks,
Max

Have you tried on any drysuits to determine whether you can fit off-the-shelf or if you will have to buy a custom fitted suit? That would answer questions about having too much air space in some parts.

I'm going up to cave country first weekend of May to try some on. I'm not really sure what to look for when trying them on as I've never used one previously.

Should I look for bagginess in certain areas?

You might at least look at the size charts of some manufacturers and see where you might fit.

I am also shopping for suits, but I haven't gotten beyond "I want a DRYSUIT that doesn't strangle me to put on", so far I have been trying on the neoprene, because that is what the rentals are. I wish to try tru-lam too.
I went to a dive show to look at suits but that show did not offer opportunities to try on suits, so maybe at a bigger dive show, that would be possible?

@Marie13, am I correct that you chose custom? Did you have opportunity to try various brands, and materials?

@Marie13, am I correct that you chose custom? Did you have opportunity to try various brands, and materials?

Yes, I went custom. Had to. I didn't fit in the size charts of any of the drysuits DRIS sells (I'm 5'5" AND round. If something fell into my torso measurements, per a size chart, it was meant for someone much taller). USIA Techniflex. The only suit I tried on previous to getting mine that even semi-fit was a Fusion I hated with a passion. The only other suit I tried on was a Santi women's, which didn't fit me. Hence, why I ended up going custom. I had a friend with another USIA suit who really liked it. I found good reviews. The price fit my budget much better than some other suits, plus USIA makes its suits in the US. Big selling point for me.

I am 5'2" and 165, but even that doesn't describe leg vs torso lengths, or pear shaped vs Apple shaped for women, and I think for men the same thing.

The "shrink wrap" TRI-lam seems like it will shrink to fit, rather than be a neoprene custom fit, but opens up the door to wierdly placed air pockets.

I could never dive a drysuit. To get a proper seal around my neck would feel like I am being choked.
Absolutely my problem,because rental gear uses the toughest, least flexible neck seals. But with custom, I was hoping softer silicon seals would be less "Boston Strangler got a job at the dive shop"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom