Nausea /gag underwater??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had this problem for years. As previously mentioned, I suck on a piece of hard candy immediately before every dive and haven't had a problem since. It moistens my mouth enough that I don't gag.

Before finding this trick I would gag almost every dive and would have to remove the reg and swish my mouth with water multiple times throughout the dive. I've also heard of folks using Biotene but haven't had much luck with it, besides lemon drops taste better and are cheaper.

Jim

yes you can puke through your regulator
Before you puke, switch to your secondary. It'll provide a valuable learning opportunity for your buddy if they don't monitor their gas and needs to share gas with you.

Unfortunately, this strategy won't work if you're using a LH/BO setup and practice primary donate.

They make a mouthpiece that you can use that minimizes gagging. It fits smaller. Haven't tried it yet. But my mouth does get tired of biting down on the regular sized ones.

I don't know if it's from keeping the regulator in my mouth so long,l or what, but after a while, I get this huge gag reflex while I'm underwater, like I'm going to throw up underwater or something (it's not nausea, it's just a gag reflex feeling) does anyone ever get this??? It wasn't seasickness. On my last dive, I had to surface. Maybe I need a better mouthpiece? Someone told me it's because I'm swallowing air???

I get that if I drink too much vodka to calm my nerves before a dive.

Back
Top Bottom