Dive computers of the future?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since DEMA doesn't start until Wednesday, they probably won't put it on the website or talk about it until then.

Since DEMA doesn't start until Wednesday, they probably won't put it on the website or talk about it until then.
Already on their website

The SW page says the price is $1199CAD. Current exchange rate means USD$883.

But, DGX has them at $935.

Hmmmm.....

Yes, realtime data for N2 / monitoring of bubbles would be something. I would appreciate some more simple features, though.

- multigas analyser (Dive Soft Freedom already has an accessory for O2);
- PLB;
- SAC rate indication during the dive,
- fully featured dive planner and the deco plan on the screen (OSTC4 has something like this.)

Already now I would like to have a learning (demo) mode. Perhaps other computers have this, but with my Mares Icon HD, only the manual explains, what to do when entering into deco mode, but I cannot try this out or practise on surface. How is it with Perdix or OSTC?

re. Planning & simulation/ demo, we put this into the Atomic Cobalt's dive simulator about 7 years ago. It works just like desktop dive planning software. You get a mini version of the dive screen, and a graphic representation of the profile, and can dive the computer in 5' (or 1M) increments up and down with up and down button presses. Deco (and other) stops appear as they would in a dive. You can switch gasses- basically do anything you could do in an actual dive. You can create multi dive profiles or single, and save term for reference or comparison in a simulated dive log. Dives can be based on current saturation or you can add surface interval time, current atmospheric pressure or some other altitude setting. We display gas consumed rather than pressure, so it can be used for gas requirements planning. Also there is the ability to print a deco schedule to the screen that you can copy as a backup table.
Cobalt Guide: Simulation Menu

-Ron

I am just coming back to diving after a 15 year hiatus. My last computer was an 18 year old Uwatec model. It was a wrist mount computer that had air integration and let you use nitrox. When I recently came back to scuba and started looking at equipment, I was blown away by how little things have progressed. Seriously. It's unbelievable. Things are nearly identical. Even the costs are damn near unchanged. It's pretty depressing.

With that said, I don't expect much in the next 15 years. Screens and battery life should improve, and the software should get better as more standard workflows are adopted. Beyond that, my next firmest prediction is that we will see location based functionality. Being alerted that you are not in proximity to a buddy (or group), and then being shown a visual representation of where to locate that buddy, would be great. Similar scenarios can be imaged for entry/exit points.

Computers do everything they're required to do. So why would they need to progress? Until something revolutionary happens in diving, they'll stay the same.

Back
Top Bottom