Help planning a refresher with Under the Jungle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natalie and I have been emailing back and forth about a "mexician style" sidemount (I trained in Hollis SMS 75 with steel tanks) and Intro to Cave refresher course. She has been well reviewed on SB and I like the fact that she too is a petite female. She recommended allotting 5 days (with 1 of the days a just in case day) which seems a bit much to me and will take more planning then I originally anticipated. But willing if that is what it takes to get squared away for full cave. I already have a trip to Cozumel June 24 to July 4 planned so it could be done sometime then.

So a few specific questions.

Is June/July just too hot to plan a class? Should I reschedule and dedicate a trip just for this?
Best place for a single female to stay?
Will I need a rental car?

And specific to Under the Jungle.

What can I expect on an average course day? I know this is vague but I am a bit of a type A and don't always do well with a lot of down time.

Is there perhaps decent ocean diving nearby that my significant other can do if he decides to come across from Cozumel for the days I do cave?

Anything else I should know to get the most from this trip?

Thanks.
You're going to have so much fun!

As mentioned, it shouldn't be too hot, but drink lots of water. We'd freeze a couple of bottles and they'd be thawed out by lunch. Depending what you're wearing for exposure protection, you might enjoy that it's hotter. Typically courses down there spend a lot of time in the water, including the debriefings. Some people get cold from that, so the hot weather is welcome.

Since you're wearing a helmet, I'd say bring a hood along. Depending on the length of your hair, it'll make the helmet more comfortable. If you are bringing a helmet down to build down there, bring some bungee to attach your lights.

I know the planned date of completion for their condos is in May, so they should be done before your trip. Another suggestion I would have, is to stay at Moms Hotel in Playa if Natalie's isn't done. Walking distance to 5th Ave and a lot of restaurants (1 block from El Fagon). Busy streets, so you should feel relatively safe. And it's a short cab ride from the ferry terminal if your husband comes over from Coz. It's a very, very basic hotel though, so don't expect anything fancy. But if you're staying on your own, it's reasonably priced. Puerto Aventuras is great, but it can get expensive (although you're there during off season).

Another small hint, is to bring a pair of liner socks to wear under your booties. You're going to be doing a lot of finning, and the socks will help you avoid blisters.

Other than that, ear beer, maybe some Imodium and Benadryl and lots of bug spray.

You'll love Natalie! One of the hardest working instructors I've ever seen anywhere.

Thanks gearhound. That's just the kind of info I am looking for.

It's going to be a long winter/spring. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom