Red Filter for Canon S100 / Canon WP-DC43?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skipmc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks,

I really enjoy this camera and housing as they're so easy and convenient to use and don't distract from my diving enjoyment, but I'd like to try a red filter to see if I can breathe some color back into my photos and videos without complicated or tedious post-processing.

I've seen a couple options for filters for this housing but they all seem dubious.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with any red / magenta filters for the WP-DC43?

Thank you!

I have used an S110 for several years and when I manually adjust the WB have found no need whatsoever to use a filter. The only work I do on photos is a bit of cropping and using the enhance button on the iPad.

Apologies if you know this already.

Best fishes x

Thank you Tippytoes, yes, I do set white balance manually, but often just use the underwater setting on the S100, and still end up with very little red, orange and yellow below 60 feet / 20 meters, so I was looking for a bit more help as I really don't like to get too distracted by my camera.

I just bought this as an experiment (hopefully it's easy to put on at depth and remove in the shallows) and will reply here with my results.

Thanks!

Hi folks,

I really enjoy this camera and housing as they're so easy and convenient to use and don't distract from my diving enjoyment, but I'd like to try a red filter to see if I can breathe some color back into my photos and videos without complicated or tedious post-processing.

I've seen a couple options for filters for this housing but they all seem dubious.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with any red / magenta filters for the WP-DC43?

Thank you!

If you are using Photoshop there is an action file called underwater.atn
Not sure where to download as I did a quick Google search for it and came up empty handed.
You load it into your Actions and when you click on it on bluish no-flash photos it color corrects it.
A lot less work than calibrating white balance.

A red filter can work well shallow, but deeper there is just no more red so it will no longer be effective. Your best bet is to add a strobe if you want to get photos with nice bright realistic colours.

As a possibility, you can always set your "shortcut" button for white balance and take it off a diving slate at whatever depth. Works fine.

You cannot put back what is not there.

N

I've used the s100 set up successfully for a few years...use CHDK, set the white balance to "underwater" or cloudy (you won't have to mess with manual white balance) USE A STROBE or 2 (you can't get colors without something to drive out the colors such as a strobe)- post processing white balance saturation and vibrance will solve most of your issues- Photoshop, PSP etc

Your never going to get "color" past the strength of the strobe at depth...

Back
Top Bottom