Orange Grove fatality?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With only one tank for DiL and BO, you're in trouble when the burst disk craps out or you rip a hose badly. Seems unnecessarily risky, imho. Why not just take a 2nd tank?

Risky? I think it's worse than that. If the first stage falls apart you have zero diluent and no inflation for the BC or dry suit (which completely sucks in a cave where it usually goes up and down on exit).
You also have no bailout. In other words without a buddy you're pretty much dead.
With a buddy it will at least make for a very miserable and adrenalin-infused exit.

If the first stage falls apart
Most rebreather divers make judicious use of isolators. Tink, it's off. Easy enough to breath off of it you have a free flow issue with the first stage and you have to bail out. Hose or other issues? Not so much. I won't dive a rebreather without a redundant bail out/off board dil bottle. I won't dive a rebreather in a cave without two of those. I'm a skeerdie cat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom