PADI Rescue Diver cert requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately, there is a bit misinformation being disseminated here. I doubt that it is at all intentional, rather it is probably a misunderstanding of the Rescue Diver course. Or, perhaps the poster is repeating erroneous information that was conveyed to him.
The only PADI requirement for Rescue Diver is AOW certification.
NO. See explanatory comments below.
LariatAdvance:
But EFR or CPR isn't a prerequisite. (unless your shop is soaking you for another fee).
NO. See correct statements, below.
LariatAdvance:
PADI words it a little confusing, but that works out to the dive shop's advantage.
"PREREQUISITES: Prerequisite certification for enrollment is PADI Advanced Open Water Diver or an equivalent rating.
Could you possibly share with us where you found this text? It is NOT correct, as written. But, I am wondering if there is some marketing material out there somewhere that contains this working.

The correct, 'official' statement of pre-requisites (website and PADI Instructor Manual 2016) for the Rescue Diver course:

Diver Prerequisites
• 12 years old
Note: 12-14 year old divers may earn Junior Rescue Diver certifications
• PADI (Junior) Adventure Diver certification – must have completed the Underwater Navigation Adventure Dive
• PADI Open Water Divers may participate in Knowledge Development and Rescue Exercises in confined water
• EFR® Primary and Secondary Care training within 24 months. Training may be completed along with rescue diver course.

So, AOW is not required. Adventure Diver is required, as is the Underwater Navigation Dive, as one of the dives completed for that certification.And, there is an age pre-requisite. And, EFR is a pre-requisite, although it may be completed along with the RD course. Note, the pre-requisites DO NOT state that EFR is completed as part of the RD course.
EFR is actually day 2 of the Rescue Diver course. . . . CPR and First Aid is integrated into the Rescue Diver course. . . . As I stated, CPR and First Aid is day 2 of the RD course.
As general statements, these are also NOT correct. CPR / First Aid - the EFR course - is separate and distinct from the Rescue Diver course - it is an entirely different course. It is also clearly listed as a pre-requisite to Rescue Diver certification (not to starting the RD course, but for certification as a RD). It may be conducted as an integrated 'package'. But, it is most definitely not considered to be Day 2 of the Rescue Diver course. Very few shops attempt to teach a competent, complete Rescue Diver course - 10 exercises and 2 Scenarios - in one day. It can be done, but a lot is crammed into a limited amount of time, with inadequate time allowed for practice and mastery of the skills.

We got AOW, then a two night course of CPR and First Aid, and then we photocopied these and emailed certifications to our Rescue Dive Instructor in Bermuda. We completed PADI online instruction and linked that to our instructor in Bermuda. Then, when we got to Bermuda, we spent three days doing every type of drill from self rescue to Navigation for search and rescue. The idea here is to get all the "dry" instruction upfront, so while in Rescue course we could be in the water as much as possible. By the way, I am all for repeating any warm water instruction in Rescue over again in cold water environment.

We got AOW, then a two night course of CPR and First Aid, and then we photocopied these and emailed certifications to our Rescue Dive Instructor in Bermuda. We completed PADI online instruction and linked that to our instructor in Bermuda. Then, when we got to Bermuda, we spent three days doing every type of drill from self rescue to Navigation for search and rescue. The idea here is to get all the "dry" instruction upfront, so while in Rescue course we could be in the water as much as possible.
Sounds like you took a good approach. The in-water time is critical, so the skills can be repeated, and repeated, improved.
Francesea:
By the way, I am all for repeating any warm water instruction in Rescue over again in cold water environment.
And, I very much endorse your attitude on this. Rescue Diver skills, like anything else in diving, are perishable. And, you do not perfect them in the course - they should be practiced, and 'honed' over time.

According to the instructor manual.

"Spread exercise development and scenario practice out over at least two days."

The way I heard it, only Adventure diver is required because some locations have no access to deep water.

I got my RD prior to my AOW.....I went SSI RD, then PADI AOW.. I did have to complete the ER prior to RD.

Just google PADI standards and download them.

They will tell you everything you need to know about the course.

Unfortunately, there is a bit misinformation being disseminated here. I doubt that it is at all intentional, rather it is probably a misunderstanding of the Rescue Diver course. Or, perhaps the poster is repeating erroneous information that was conveyed to him. NO. See explanatory comments below. NO. See correct statements, below.Could you possibly share with us where you found this text? It is NOT correct, as written. But, I am wondering if there is some marketing material out there somewhere that contains this working.

The correct, 'official' statement of pre-requisites (website and PADI Instructor Manual 2016) for the Rescue Diver course:

Diver Prerequisites
• 12 years old
Note: 12-14 year old divers may earn Junior Rescue Diver certifications
• PADI (Junior) Adventure Diver certification – must have completed the Underwater Navigation Adventure Dive
• PADI Open Water Divers may participate in Knowledge Development and Rescue Exercises in confined water
• EFR® Primary and Secondary Care training within 24 months. Training may be completed along with rescue diver course.

So, AOW is not required. Adventure Diver is required, as is the Underwater Navigation Dive, as one of the dives completed for that certification.And, there is an age pre-requisite. And, EFR is a pre-requisite, although it may be completed along with the RD course. Note, the pre-requisites DO NOT state that EFR is completed as part of the RD course. As general statements, these are also NOT correct. CPR / First Aid - the EFR course - is separate and distinct from the Rescue Diver course - it is an entirely different course. It is also clearly listed as a pre-requisite to Rescue Diver certification (not to starting the RD course, but for certification as a RD). It may be conducted as an integrated 'package'. But, it is most definitely not considered to be Day 2 of the Rescue Diver course. Very few shops attempt to teach a competent, complete Rescue Diver course - 10 exercises and 2 Scenarios - in one day. It can be done, but a lot is crammed into a limited amount of time, with inadequate time allowed for practice and mastery of the skills.

Well, I assumed we both understood that Adventure Diver is the Equivalent to AOW. Just as "Jr Open Water Diver" is the equivalent to "Open Water Diver". You're correct, but on a technicality. "AOW (or equivalent)" I guess I shoulda said. You don't need AOW if you have an "equivalent" certification from another qualified agency like NAUI.

And CPR/First aid is indeed a part of the RD course, unless it's been cannibalized in order to charge for another course. It's day 2 of the RD course. You learn CPR/First aid in the RD course, and that is "certified in FA/CPR" for the purposes of satisfying PADI. Now it might not be good enough if you're gonna go get a childcare license or wanna work for the rescue squad where CPR/FA is required. I don't know if the town would accept a PADI rescue diver CPR/FA in the place of a Red Cross CPR/FA card for their beach lifeguards requirement. Probably not.

Either I'm wrong and I have a fake RD certification and my dive shop is handing out fake RD certs, or else the FA/CPR integrated into the RD course is satisfactory to meet PADI requirements for CPR/FA. I didn't blow into that rubber dummies slimy mouth all day long for nothing that day. :)

PADI.COM: "• EFR® Primary and Secondary Care training within 24 months. Training may be completed along with rescue diver course."

PADI.COM: "You also need to have Emergency First Response Primary and Secondary Care (CPR and First Aid) training within the past 24 months. You can complete this training during the Rescue Diver course."

Maybe some places chop the CPR/FA day 2 outta their "rescue diver" course and charge extra for that as another course? Those Caribbean dive shops are notorious for their flim-flam certifications and their trying to milk the tourist outta every penny they can. There's some dive shops advertising their "totally on-line" Nitrox course. One site even claims you can take their "on-line course", complete their on-line test, and they'll mail you a Nitrox cert card if you pass (for $99, of course). That sounded fast and slick, but then I found the PADI bulletin that PADI sent out to all PADI dive centers that the SDA Nitrox Cert wasn't recognized by PADI and they "recommended" PADI dive centers not accept the SDA card as proof of Nitrox Cert.

Why would I take a course just for the purpose of repeating it again in the RD course? CPR and FA is not the EFR course. EFR course is something different. You're not EFR certified by taking the RD course. YOU DO learn CRP/FA in the EFR course (as well as in the RD course).

I think the best way of explaining it is like, if you get a Masters Degree right out of high school (EFR), then you don't have an Associates Degree (RD), but you take a lot of the same courses in the Associated Degree (RD) as you do in the Masters Degree (EFR). Or is that just more confusing? When I went for my Masters Degree in Network Security Management, I didn't have to retake all those courses I took when I got my Associates Degree in Information Systems. LOL

I think PADI is saying, If you already have an Associate Degree (EFR), then you don't have to take "Computer Basics 101" and "Basic Typing Skills" over again to get your Masters Degree (RD).

Whatever the case, my 5-star PADI facility taught it and PADI approved it as meeting the requirements for their "Rescue Diver" certification and issued the RD card, and I have never taken the EFR course.

Last edited:
Well, I assumed we both understood that Adventure Diver is the Equivalent to AOW. Just as "Jr Open Water Diver" is the equivalent to "Open Water Diver". You're correct, but on a technicality. "AOW (or equivalent)" I guess I shoulda said. You don't need AOW if you have an "equivalent" certification from another qualified agency like NAUI.

And CPR/First aid is indeed a part of the RD course, unless it's been cannibalized in order to charge for another course. It's day 2 of the RD course. You learn CPR/First aid in the RD course, and that is "certified in FA/CPR" for the purposes of satisfying PADI. Now it might not be good enough if you're gonna go get a childcare license or wanna work for the rescue squad where CPR/FA is required. I don't know if the town would accept a PADI rescue diver CPR/FA in the place of a Red Cross CPR/FA card for their beach lifeguards requirement. Probably not.

Either I'm wrong and I have a fake RD certification and my dive shop is handing out fake RD certs, or else the FA/CPR integrated into the RD course is satisfactory to meet PADI requirements for CPR/FA. I didn't blow into that rubber dummies slimy mouth all day long for nothing that day. :)

PADI.COM: "• EFR® Primary and Secondary Care training within 24 months. Training may be completed along with rescue diver course."

PADI.COM: "You also need to have Emergency First Response Primary and Secondary Care (CPR and First Aid) training within the past 24 months. You can complete this training during the Rescue Diver course."

Maybe some places chop the CPR/FA day 2 outta their "rescue diver" course and charge extra for that as another course? Those Caribbean dive shops are notorious for their flim-flam certifications and their trying to milk the tourist outta every penny they can. There's some dive shops advertising their "totally on-line" Nitrox course. One site even claims you can take their "on-line course", complete their on-line test, and they'll mail you a Nitrox cert card if you pass (for $99, of course). That sounded fast and slick, but then I found the PADI bulletin that PADI sent out to all PADI dive centers that the SDA Nitrox Cert wasn't recognized by PADI and they "recommended" PADI dive centers not accept the SDA card as proof of Nitrox Cert.

Why would I take a course just for the purpose of repeating it again in the RD course? CPR and FA is not the EFR course. EFR course is something different. You're not EFR certified by taking the RD course. YOU DO learn CRP/FA in the EFR course (as well as in the RD course).

I think the best way of explaining it is like, if you get a Masters Degree right out of high school (EFR), then you don't have an Associates Degree (RD), but you take a lot of the same courses in the Associated Degree (RD) as you do in the Masters Degree (EFR). Or is that just more confusing? When I went for my Masters Degree in Network Security Management, I didn't have to retake all those courses I took when I got my Associates Degree in Information Systems. LOL

I think PADI is saying, If you already have an Associate Degree (EFR), then you don't have to take "Computer Basics 101" and "Basic Typing Skills" over again to get your Masters Degree (RD).

Whatever the case, my 5-star PADI facility taught it and PADI approved it as meeting the requirements for their "Rescue Diver" certification and issued the RD card, and I have never taken the EFR course.
Sorry - but you're dead wrong. First - Adventure diver is NOT equivalent to AOW. EFR certification or an equivalent CPR/FA Cert is required for Rescue cert. It is NOT part of the rescue course, but your LDS may have packaged it as such, but if they didn't provide a separate certification - they clearly violated PADI standards.

Sorry - but you're dead wrong. . . . EFR certification or an equivalent CPR/FA Cert is required for Rescue cert. It is NOT part of the rescue course, but your LDS may have packaged it as such, but if they didn't provide a separate certification - they clearly violated PADI standards.
Yes, this is correct. And, I called PADI about this issue yesterday afternoon, and the Training Consultant with whom I spoke said exactly the same thing. So, I won't say you have a fake RD card, or anything like that. But, PADI does not allow CPR/FA training to be somehow 'built into' the RD course as a substitute for EFR training / certification (or equivalent training / certification from another agency such as American Heart or American Red Cross).
LariatAdvance:
And CPR/First aid is indeed a part of the RD course, unless it's been cannibalized in order to charge for another course. It's day 2 of the RD course.
Sorry, but NO. This is simply and completely wrong. It is not a matter of semantics. It is not technicality. There is no 'chopping' to be done, it is not a matter of whether something has been ' cannibalized'. It is just not true. CPR/First Aid is not day 2 of the RD course. Or, day 1 for that matter. Your shop may have taught a combined two-course program, over one weekend. And the second day of that one weekend program may have been the EFR course. That is not by any means the 'usual and customary'. But, a combined program in which both courses are taught over a weekend is possible.

And, it is not an issue of whether 'PADI approved it as meeting the requirements for their "Rescue Diver" certification'. PADI approved the RD certification only and specifically on the basis of the Instructor's assurance (given in the submitted 'paperwork') that you met the prerequisite requirements, which specifically include 'EFR® Primary and Secondary Care training within 24 months.' PADI wasn’t there for your RD course – they have to depend in good faith on the statement of the Instructor (not the shop, by the way) in submitting the certification 'paperwork', that all requirements were met. And, while 'Training may be completed along with rescue diver course', it still must be completed. Per conversation with PADI yesterday, that specifically means certification. If you did not, as you state, take an EFR course (or an equivalent) - and you would know if you did; the EFR course materials (student manual, Knowledge Reviews, DVD, written examination, etc), are readily identifiable, and, the certification is / should be on file with PADI - then your Instructor violated standards in certifying you, which would invalidate the certification, if PADI becomes aware of it. Now, I would prefer to believe that your Instructor met the standards for certifying you as a Rescue Diver. But, if the only CPR / FA ‘training’ was given as ‘day 2 of the RD course’ and EFR certification was NOT completed - as you state - then you did not meet the prerequisite requirements for Rescue Diver certification.
LariatAdvance:
]Those Caribbean dive shops are notorious for their flim-flam certifications and their trying to milk the tourist outta every penny they can.
I don’t know of any reason that a diver has to go all the way to the Caribbean to get ‘flim-flam certifications’.

Last edited:
@LariatAdvance
Highlighted the important bits (to me) of your post in red-

Training MAY be completed along with rescue diver course - this means that it MAY be incorporated within the rescue diver course not that it WILL be incorporated in all RD courses.
You CAN complete this training during the Rescue Diver course -
this means that your instructor, should he choose to, offer EFR along side the RD course not that it forms part of the course.

If you have never taken the EFR course (or provided an equivalent certificate) then your RD card is invalid as you have not met the standards for the course. Your instructor in that case is in clear breach of standards as per @Colliam7 post above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom