Padi Advanced OW - Deep stops??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... Generally deep stops are not going to be addressed in most of the mainline agencies at a AOW level...
Oh contraire. There are recreational agencies who teach a more complete advanced course. The NAUI advanced and the NAUI EAN courses both include deep stops in their texts and courses. It isn't rocket science, but it does require attention to buoyancy control, very slow ascents, and paying attention to time and depth. I imagine there are padi instructors who also include deep or half stops in their AOW courses (unless, of course, their standards do not allow).

And while the tech computers are sweet indeed, even the most basic recreational computers will provide good information on dives with a half stop.

In my opinion don't buy something too expensive and complex. Now that you are taking your time to get comfortable underwater, I think it will be best for you to buy something that is easy to use, read and has a big display rather than buying a high tech gadget that is complex to use and makes you wonder what is what. Look for something with big numbers and high contrast colors, buy something that can do just what you need, no more no less, but after all the choice is yours. :)

MB:
Oh contraire. There are recreational agencies who teach a more complete advanced course. The NAUI advanced and the NAUI EAN courses both include deep stops in their texts and courses. It isn't rocket science, but it does require attention to buoyancy control, very slow ascents, and paying attention to time and depth. I imagine there are padi instructors who also include deep or half stops in their AOW courses (unless, of course, their standards do not allow).

And while the tech computers are sweet indeed, even the most basic recreational computers will provide good information on dives with a half stop.

Sounds like NAUI are grossly out of date with regards the safety of Pyle-type Deep Stops (unilateral stops, not bubble model ascent curving) and the efficiency of 'very slow' ascents (not variable speed, staged safety-stop ascents).

I "hope" not too many instructors are still teaching deep stops. The 1990's called and wanted it's napkin scribbled theories back....

There's very little difference to the user between a 'tech' computer and a 'rec' computer until you get into staged decompression.

Bottom line for the OP: ANY dive computer (that works) will be fine for your AOW class.

But, if you're buying something, you should definitely get one that supports Nitrox. You don't need Nitrox for the AOW class, but you'll probably want it eventually. Any new computer will support Nitrox. It's only something to check if you were buying an older, used computer. An older computer may support Nitrox, or it might not.

Bottom line for the OP: ANY dive computer (that works) will be fine for your AOW class.

What he said.

If you're on a rental reg set that has a computer in the console (it should), you'll be fine with that. Don't feel compelled to buy a new computer just for the class. Every computer will give you depth, temperature, and NDL. That's really all you need for the class.

One of the key benefits to having your own computer is that it logs your dives. Even a low cost Suunto Zoop stores 50 hours worth of dives, which can be downloaded to your computer through their free DM5 software. Really beats having a soggy logbook.

Sounds like NAUI are grossly out of date with regards the safety of Pyle-type Deep Stops (unilateral stops, not bubble model ascent curving) and the efficiency of 'very slow' ascents (not variable speed, staged safety-stop ascents).

I "hope" not too many instructors are still teaching deep stops. The 1990's called and wanted it's napkin scribbled theories back....

There's very little difference to the user between a 'tech' computer and a 'rec' computer until you get into staged decompression.
NAUI is doing a whopping 1min at 1/2 the depth based on a DAN bubble study by Maronni. Completely different beast as its technically a no stop dive in the first place.
DAN | News

Half depth, not half pressure? Ohhkay... :popcorn:

To the OP: last I looked even the staunchest proponents of deep stops agreed that they have no meaning for no-decompression dives to recreational depths. So if you don't plan on going technical, the feature is irrelevant. (Also, are there computers that don't have it? I can't think of one.)

Half depth, not half pressure? Ohhkay... :popcorn:

To the OP: last I looked even the staunchest proponents of deep stops agreed that they have no meaning for no-decompression dives to recreational depths. So if you don't plan on going technical, the feature is irrelevant. (Also, are there computers that don't have it? I can't think of one.)
A lot easier to look at the gauge and dive max depth by 2. Its 1 minute not rocket science.

Apparently you didn't even read the Marroni study about which profile had the lowest Doppler scores.

I'm (still) shopping around for wrist computers and would like to know, in the Padi advanced open water course, during your deep dives, did you ever do a deep stop or anything? That way rule in, or rule out choosing a dive computer with that feature.

You can do PADI Advanced Open Water without a computer! But in the deep adventure dive you don't use deep stops. In fact I don't think PADI support deep stops in rec diving. Just the usual 3min safety stop.

Picking a computer depends a lot on your budget. I have a suunto vyper. It does everything I need and was £100. That left me more money for diving. It's pretty easy to use and does everything I need. The only thing that bugs me is that you have to use the backlight at night. If you shine your torch on it it doesn't luminate like an SPG. Although on the newer suunto they have corrected this.

There are computers out there to fit every budget however even the most basic have all the functionality you need at recreational level. I went with the Vyper over the Zoop as it has Bottom Timer function. Useful for tech or GUE who don't do computer dives just use BT and ratio deco.

If you don't mind paying a little more the watch size units are nice.

If money is no object get something like a Perdix, Liquivision or Seabear. They are nice units but don't think for one minute you NEED them. They are trinkets.

Even 90m technical trimix dives can be done on a simple reliable Scubapro Bottom Timer.

A lot easier to look at the gauge and dive max depth by 2. Its 1 minute not rocket science.

Apparently you didn't even read the Marroni study about which profile had the lowest Doppler scores.

Yes. Did you?

Did you notice how it went from Haldane's half-pressure to "half depth" to table 4 where the stops are at 15m after max depth of 25m?

What is the relationship between Dr. Marroni's study and any of the tables presented on that page?

Did you notice this bit: "the missing link of this research is the unknown relationship between Doppler-detectable bubbles and neurological DCS. For the moment, it is our hope that by eliminating the 30 percent so-called silent bubbles in the heart, we will also be stopping their occurrence in the spinal cord too. More research is needed in this regard."

I also read a few computer manuals. Google was able to find me a page where someone claims PZ+ uses half depth for its "deep stop" -- it's on the Internet so it must be true. Didn't see any manual spelling out what their "deep stop feature" actually does.

Like I said, let the popcorn pop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom