Solo Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaShaneVB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Plan to Solo Dive in Bonaire the beginning of September. I have read that Bonaire is Solo Diver friendly.

I'm solo diver certified with appropriate redundant equipment.

Would appreciate any dive shops, dive spots, or dive boats that I should avoid as a solo diver!

Also I know I can easily find buddies. I do it all the time when I travel, and dive for fun. However I'm going here to record video. I will not make a good buddy. I don't want to take a dive buddy and ignore him/her just to make the captain or shop happy.

Been to Bonaire twice for two weeks each time. I dove exclusively solo. No problem even at house reefs. Didn't even get asked if I had a solo card (I do) let alone asked to see it. No where/nothing to avoid at all. On the one boat dive I did they even asked me if I would rather dive solo. Maybe because I had a pony. I never dive without one, although I downsized to a smaller one because I mostly dive shallower these days. Been to 130' and didn't find much of anything there that I couldn't see at 60', or even 30'.

It probably depends very much on your attitude to risk, your physical capability and if you accept to avoid some sites.
45 years ago when I was single and had no responsibilities I would think nothing of rappelling down a cliff face directly into breaking surf to dive (solo) a good spot. But nowadays I like to dive Bonaire as part of a group because we help each other with some of the entries where we have to clamber over rocky approaches. 2 or 3 divers providing support to each other can get in and out in conditions that would be risky for a solo diver. After an intensive week of diving even the younger guys in our group all had a variety of bruises and cuts from some of the trickier rocky entries with some surf action.
Of course we could have stuck to those sites with easy entries - but where's the fun in that? :)

No problem.....I've been solo diving Bonaire, both reefs and accomodation docks, for years...started out with single back mounted tank and pony slung...now solo with two 80's in side mount config...there are very few sights I would avoid using side mount......the only place I can think of that you would have to avoid is the dock at Den Lamen I think its called...apparently you have to be a guest there to use their dock...knock yourself out....it freakin' rules solo diving Bonaire...

Back
Top Bottom